Preparing for Mars: Choosing the Right Program for Astronaut Training

In summary, the astronauts mentioned that many of them majored in physics in order to become astronauts. It seems that having a degree in a physics-related field is helpful, but not necessary, to be selected.
NeoDevin
What program/field of study would be good to become an astronaut, with the hope of one day going to mars?

Physics news on Phys.org
I've read bios of astronauts, and I've noted that many of them majored in physics. So I suppose that this is one way to become an astronaut. Of course, many others took the military route, and became astronauts after flying naval and air force aircraft. I know that fighter pilots are required to have a minimum of a bachelor's degree, but I don't think the military requires a specific field of study.

Anyway, I'm definitely not the person to talk to for advice on this, but this is what I've heard.

Thanks for the reply. Right now I'm trying to decide what to do with my degree, and where to go after I"m done undergrad. I'm basically just taking every little idea I get and running with it to see where it goes. This came up in conversation with a buddy of mine, and I figured, why not learn more, could be fun.

Anyone else have any ideas on this?

The basic requirements are simple ( http://www.nasajobs.nasa.gov/astronauts/content/broch00.htm#bqr ). What actually sets some people apart from others, I don't really know. If/when they decide to go to Mars, or even back to the Moon, I would think that a degree in something like Planetary Science might be useful to get selected. Of course, physics, and other similar degrees too.

With the "3 years of increasing responsibility" requirement, you should probably try to make it as close as possible to the space program. Or, they seem to like sending teachers up, maybe you could do that too ;)

These are all just guesses on my part. I plan on applying too. Perhaps we'll both be stepping onto Mars one day :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I feel like quoting the Simpsons.

Other reporter: They're a colorful bunch. They've been dubbed, “The Three Musketeers". Heh heh heh.

Reporter: And we laugh legitimately. There's a mathematician, a different kind of mathematician, and a statistician.

Sounds like a plan Mororvia, I'll see you there.

Related to Preparing for Mars: Choosing the Right Program for Astronaut Training

1. What qualifications are necessary to become an astronaut?

To become an astronaut, you must be a citizen of a participating country, have a bachelor's degree in a relevant field such as engineering or science, pass a rigorous physical and psychological exam, and have experience in a relevant profession such as piloting or scientific research.

2. How long does astronaut training typically last?

Astronaut training can last anywhere from 1-2 years, depending on the specific program and mission. This includes both classroom and hands-on training, as well as simulations and exercises to prepare for the challenges of space travel.

3. What types of skills are necessary for a successful astronaut?

A successful astronaut must possess a combination of technical skills, physical fitness, and mental resilience. They must be able to work well in a team, problem-solve, and handle stress and isolation. They should also have strong communication, leadership, and adaptability skills.

4. How do I choose the right program for astronaut training?

When choosing a program for astronaut training, consider your own qualifications and goals, as well as the specific requirements and focus of the program. Look into the success rates and reputation of the program, and consider seeking advice from current or former astronauts.

5. What are some potential risks involved in astronaut training and space travel?

Astronaut training and space travel come with inherent risks, such as exposure to radiation, lack of gravity, and potential equipment malfunctions. There is also a risk of physical and mental health issues, such as bone and muscle loss, and psychological stress. It is important for astronauts to undergo thorough training and preparation to minimize these risks.