Preparing for MATH GRE: Tips & Recommended Books

In summary, the speaker is planning to take the MATH GRE in order to apply to physics graduate schools. They are struggling with balancing their workload between economics/maths and physics/maths. They are seeking advice on preparing for the GRE, including recommended books to review for each topic. The speaker also notes that the math portion of the regular GRE may be sufficient for their application.
Junaid456
I am planning to give the MATH GRE. I intend to go to physics graduate schools but I may have to given the MATH GRE according to my college's requirement. I very much like maths, but I'm overloaded with physics related work, including the GRE, since I have been making a transition from economics/maths to physics/maths.

What are the essential tips for someone like me looking to prepare for the GRE? What books should I go through for each topic?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm. So you plan to go to graduate school for physics and that school requires MATH GRE? That's a bit unusual. Are you sure they don't mean the math portion of the regular GRE? If it's the former, then I can't help you with that. I did poorly on the math gre. If it's the latter, then I wouldn't worry about it to much if you're undergraduate is in physics, the math is pretty simple. I would simply look at old test to get a feel for the problems and learn how to solve those problems quickly

1. What is the best way to prepare for the Math GRE?

The best way to prepare for the Math GRE is to start studying early and consistently. Make a study schedule and stick to it, and focus on areas that you struggle with the most. Practice problems and take practice tests to familiarize yourself with the format and types of questions that will be asked.

2. What are some recommended books for studying for the Math GRE?

Some recommended books for studying for the Math GRE include "The Official Guide to the GRE General Test" by ETS, "GRE Math Prep Course" by Jeff Kolby and Derrick Vaughn, and "Cracking the GRE Math Test" by Princeton Review. It is also helpful to use a variety of practice tests and resources to supplement your studying.

3. Are there any specific tips for improving my score on the Math GRE?

One tip for improving your score on the Math GRE is to focus on understanding the concepts rather than just memorizing formulas. It is also helpful to practice your time management skills, as the Math GRE is a timed test. Additionally, reviewing and analyzing your mistakes on practice tests can help identify areas for improvement.

4. How long should I study for the Math GRE?

The amount of time you should study for the Math GRE will vary depending on your individual strengths and weaknesses. However, it is generally recommended to start studying at least 2-3 months before your test date and to dedicate several hours each week to studying.

5. Are there any specific calculators allowed for the Math GRE?

Yes, there are specific calculators that are allowed for the Math GRE. The only calculators allowed are basic, four-function calculators, scientific calculators, and graphing calculators. You can find a list of approved calculators on the ETS website. It is important to familiarize yourself with your calculator and its functions before taking the test.