Prepping for first "Modern Physics" Class

In summary: They would have definitely helped me out.In summary, the person is asking for advice on how to prepare for their first sophomore-level modern physics class. They recommend reviewing subjects that they may need for the class, such as math and physics. They also recommend solving problems and spending time preparing.
blintaro
Hello people of the Physics Forums, this is going to be a bit of a long post, I apologize for that!

I'm posting here to ask for some advice on how to prepare for my first sophomore-level modern physics class. I am feeling very nervous about this class because it is imperative I get top grades in order to make up for past blunders. I was a not engaged in academics as a HS student, entered University and basically had to play catch-up with my peers, learning math for the first time and taking a bunch of physics at once. Generally being an overexcited freshman and jumping into every commitment that caught my interest (clubs, sports). Not surprisingly, it was too much. Eventually, after sophomore Thermodynamics I wised up and decided to take some time off physics and just take math and work on a materials science minor. So now, a year later I'm back and ready to jump into my major classes again.

I've taken Linear Algebra almost a year ago now and finished Differential Equations this past summer. I have also taken multivariable calc 1 & 2, integrating over surfaces and such. However, I feel paranoid that I've forgot things that are important. My first question is, how can I review these subjects with an eye to what I would need for Modern Physics? In addition to math, what physics should I review? I love mechanics, rotational dynamics, momentum and that stuff, struggled a bit more with the electromagentism and optics like double slits and single slits and lens stuff.

Tangentially, I work as a tutor for my University, and am currently holding the study group for the physics class is rotational dynamics/fluids/optics. Being responsible for this material to a bunch of students has really helped me. I might have the opportunity to run the electromagnetism class study group next quarter. This class was difficult for me when I last took it but this might be a great opportunity for me to finally learn it well. My question is, will devoting serious time to electromagnetism stuff help me in Modern next quarter? Also, are there any ways to learn electromagnetism that you have found effective?

I believe the textbook we are using is Modern Physics by Randy Harris. I know this has been a large, messy, vague question. I guess I'd just appreciate some pointers or past experiences because I'm stressin'. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

I highly recommend going through these videos on YouTube. They are a fun and effective way to at least get some preparation done.

These video lectures may not be rigorous or advanced enough but I think they are a good way to start.

The following two videos are introductory:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL193BC0532FE7B02C

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL694FA187D8C2028A also check out other videos on that channel.

This one is a bit more advanced:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD07B2225BB40E582

Also, make sure you solve a lot of problems... don't leave it till the last minute.

I personally wish I watched these videos before starting the modern physics course.

1. What topics should I review before my first modern physics class?

Before your first modern physics class, it would be helpful to review basic concepts in classical mechanics, such as Newton's laws of motion, conservation of energy and momentum, and simple harmonic motion. Familiarizing yourself with the fundamental equations of motion and concepts of force, acceleration, and velocity will provide a solid foundation for understanding modern physics concepts.

2. Do I need to have a strong background in mathematics for modern physics?

While a strong background in mathematics is certainly helpful for understanding modern physics, it is not necessary. Most modern physics courses will cover the necessary mathematical concepts and equations as they are introduced. However, having a basic understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and calculus will make it easier to grasp these concepts and apply them to problem-solving.

3. What experiments or demonstrations can I expect in a modern physics class?

Modern physics classes often include hands-on experiments or demonstrations to illustrate concepts such as wave-particle duality, special relativity, and quantum mechanics. These experiments may involve using equipment such as lasers, diffraction gratings, or particle detectors to observe and measure phenomena that cannot be seen with the naked eye.

4. How can I prepare for the mathematical aspect of modern physics?

Aside from reviewing basic mathematical concepts, it can be helpful to practice solving problems using equations and formulas. You can find practice problems and solutions in textbooks or online resources. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with scientific notation and units of measurement will be beneficial for understanding and manipulating data in modern physics.

5. Are there any online resources or study guides that can help me prepare for my first modern physics class?

Yes, there are many online resources and study guides available to help you prepare for your first modern physics class. These can include lecture notes, practice problems, and video tutorials. Your professor may also provide a list of recommended resources or a course syllabus that outlines the topics and concepts that will be covered in the class.