Part-Time Student: 300-Level Physics Classes

In summary, an expert summarizer would say that this student is going into their second semester of physics and oscillated between feeling just fine and questioning whether the class was right for them. They ended up with an A in the class, however they are not sure that it is indicative of their learning because they relied on cheat sheets.Next month, the student is taking E&M1, an intermediate modern physics class and a lab. They should expect to focus on solving boundary value problems and Fourier analysis and the method of images.
Blue Kangaroo
I'm not if this is the right place for this, so mods can feel free to move this. I'm a part-time student going into my second semester of 300 level physics class. This past semester I oscillated between feeling just fine and questioning whether physics was right for me (usually around test time). I ended up with an A, A- and B- in thermodynamics, waves and oscillations and a lab respectively, but I'm not quite sure that's indicative of what I learned. Let's just say cheat sheets are a big help.

Starting next month, I'll be taking E&M1, intermediate modern physics and a lab. What exactly can I expect in the first two of those classes? What are the most important calculus topics to review? To make a long story short, it's been about 4 years since I took the calc sequence, so I'm hoping it will come back to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
A solid understanding of vector calculus will be incredibly useful for E&M. For modern physics, that will also be sufficient.

Blue Kangaroo said:
What exactly can I expect in the first two of those classes?
E&M will likely focus on solving boundary value problems. In particular, the Laplace and Poisson equations. The mathematical methods involved will likely include Fourier analysis and the method of images.

Topics in Modern physics courses can vary a lot depending on the professor. My modern physics course focused on solid state physics and optics but yours can easily be different.

Blue Kangaroo said:
Starting next month, I'll be taking E&M1, intermediate modern physics and a lab. What exactly can I expect in the first two of those classes?
Ask the professors. Different schools do things differently: MIT or Caltech versus a flagship state university (U of Michigan, U of Texas, Ohio State) versus someplace like North Podunk State.

(I'm assuming you're in the US.)

Blue Kangaroo said:
What exactly can I expect in the first two of those classes?

What does it say in the course description?

jtbell said:
versus someplace like North Podunk State
Well at least you didn't insult South Podunk State!
South Podunk State alumni :woot:

1. What is the difference between part-time and full-time students in 300-level physics classes?

Part-time students typically take a smaller course load and attend classes on a less frequent basis compared to full-time students. However, the content and difficulty level of the 300-level physics classes are the same for both part-time and full-time students.

2. Can part-time students still graduate on time if they take 300-level physics classes?

It depends on the individual's academic plan and course load. Part-time students may need to take more semesters to complete their degree, but it is possible for them to graduate on time if they plan their courses carefully.

3. Are part-time students at a disadvantage compared to full-time students in 300-level physics classes?

No, the course materials and expectations are the same for both part-time and full-time students. However, part-time students may need to manage their time effectively and make use of resources such as office hours to succeed in the class.

4. Is it possible for part-time students to switch to full-time status to take 300-level physics classes?

Yes, it is possible for part-time students to switch to full-time status. However, it is important to consider the workload and time commitment before making the switch.

5. Are there any prerequisites for 300-level physics classes for part-time students?

Yes, part-time students must meet the same prerequisites as full-time students in order to enroll in 300-level physics classes. These prerequisites may include completing lower level physics courses or having a strong background in math and science.