Prereqs for learning particle physics?

In summary, if you are interested in self-studying particle physics, it is recommended to have a strong background in calculus, physics, and quantum mechanics. Textbook recommendations include "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by Griffiths, "Introduction to Elementary Particle Physics" by Alessandro Bettini, and "Particle Physics" by B.R.Martin and G.Shaw. It is also helpful to have knowledge in special relativity, nonrelativistic quantum mechanics, and electrodynamics. Some solid-state physics and electronics may also be necessary for understanding experimental aspects. Online resources such as syllabi, lecture slides, and course notes can also aid in your studies.
ChrisPI
I want to start studying particle physics on my own and wanted to know what the prerequisite are? I'm in my second year of college and have finished Calc. 3 and Physics with calc. 3. I'd also be interested in textbook recommendations.

Physics news on Phys.org
On the theoretical side, particle physics is quantum field theory. Relativistic quantum mechanics helps, which then needs special relativity and nonrelativistic quantum mechanics. Electrodynamics is probably useful to understand special relativity better. Nonrelativistic quantum mechanics relies on concepts introduced in classical mechanics (in particular, Hamilton/Lagrange formalism) and algebra and analysis.

On the experimental side, special relativity is absolutely necessary, if you want to understand the detectors some solid-state physics is necessary, electrodynamics for sure, maybe electronics depending on the level of detail.

I'm sure I forgot some points.

Likes ChrisPI
try Quantum Physics: The Theoretical Minimum - Books 1 & 2 - by Susskind

Likes ChrisPI
garcol said:
try Quantum Physics: The Theoretical Minimum - Books 1 & 2 - by Susskind
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out.

mfb said:
On the theoretical side, particle physics is quantum field theory. Relativistic quantum mechanics helps, which then needs special relativity and nonrelativistic quantum mechanics. Electrodynamics is probably useful to understand special relativity better. Nonrelativistic quantum mechanics relies on concepts introduced in classical mechanics (in particular, Hamilton/Lagrange formalism) and algebra and analysis.

On the experimental side, special relativity is absolutely necessary, if you want to understand the detectors some solid-state physics is necessary, electrodynamics for sure, maybe electronics depending on the level of detail.

I'm sure I forgot some points.

Thanks for your advice, looks like I have some work to do :)

ChrisPI said:
I want to start studying particle physics on my own and wanted to know what the prerequisite are? I'm in my second year of college and have finished Calc. 3 and Physics with calc. 3. I'd also be interested in textbook recommendations.

An excellent undergraduate book is Griffiths "Introduction to Elementary Particles"

Likes Dishsoap and ChrisPI
"Introduction to Elementary Particle Physics" by Alessandro Bettini, and "Particle Physics" by B.R.Martin and G.Shaw are both good and used in many third year introductory courses. Most courses at this level also require an introductory course in quantum physics as a prerequisite, so you need that background.

Also, you can search online for a syllabus, lecture slides, course notes, etc. for an introductory course. That can help you plan your studies.

Last edited:
Likes ChrisPI

1. What is particle physics?

Particle physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the study of subatomic particles, their properties, and the interactions between them. It seeks to understand the fundamental building blocks of the universe and the forces that govern their behavior.

2. What are the prerequisites for learning particle physics?

The prerequisites for learning particle physics include a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations. It is also important to have a basic understanding of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics.

3. Is coding knowledge necessary for learning particle physics?

While coding knowledge is not necessarily a prerequisite for learning particle physics, it can be extremely helpful. Many particle physics experiments and simulations require coding in languages such as Python or C++, and having coding skills can greatly aid in understanding and analyzing data.

4. Are there any recommended textbooks for learning particle physics?

Yes, there are several recommended textbooks for learning particle physics, including "Introduction to Elementary Particles" by David Griffiths, "Particle Physics: A Very Short Introduction" by Frank Close, and "Quarks and Leptons: An Introductory Course in Modern Particle Physics" by Francis Halzen and Alan Martin.

5. What career opportunities are available in the field of particle physics?

There are a variety of career opportunities in particle physics, including research positions at universities and national laboratories, as well as positions in industries such as medical technology and energy. Particle physicists also contribute to advancements in technology and play a crucial role in understanding the universe and its origins.