Prerequisites for Plasma Physics and Fusion

In summary, the person is looking to pursue a master or Ph.D in plasma physics with a focus on fusion tokamak reactors. They have an undergrad in Comp Sci and are starting to do the necessary physics work to apply to grad school. They are also considering areas such as non-linear dynamics, computational physics, electrodynamics, atom-light interactions, and material/solid-state/condensed matter physics. The person is advised to have a strong background in math, particularly in vector calculus, ODE's and PDE's. Suggested resources for study include Strogatz for non-linear dynamics and Griffiths and Jackson for E&M. They are also taking refresher courses in physics before applying to grad school.
Caolan
Hello I am looking to pursue a master or Ph.D in plasma physics focusing on fusion tokamak reactors.

I have an undergrad in Comp Sci and am starting the necessary physics work to apply to grad school. Besides electromagnetics, are there other areas I should focus on?

What are the best websites and/or resources to get started in it.

Physics news on Phys.org
What sort of work in Plasma physics?

In general, plasma physics would be a good start. :wink: Also: non-linear dynamics and computational physics (shouldn't be too far from what you know). You should do electrodynamics. Atom-light interactions, material/solid-state/condensed matter physics (plasma-material interactions are a big area of study at the moment), and a little nuclear physics can't hurt either. You should make sure you have the maths background - vector calculus, ODE's and PDE's are a must.

For non-linear dynamics, Strogatz is a very good start. For E&M, Griffiths is a good start, and once you've mastered that, Jackson.

Caolan said:
Hello I am looking to pursue a master or Ph.D in plasma physics focusing on fusion tokamak reactors.

I have an undergrad in Comp Sci and am starting the necessary physics work to apply to grad school. Besides electromagnetics, are there other areas I should focus on?

What are the best websites and/or resources to get started in it.

Can you explain what "... am starting the necessary physics work... " means here? Are you enrolling in another undergraduate program? Are you taking part-time classes? Or are you just watching YouTube videos and reading Wikipedia?

Zz.

Likes e.bar.goum
ZapperZ said:
Can you explain what "... am starting the necessary physics work... " means here? Are you enrolling in another undergraduate program? Are you taking part-time classes? Or are you just watching YouTube videos and reading Wikipedia?

Zz.
Hey sorry for the late reply...

I took engineering physics 20 years ago for the Comp. Sci program I was in so I am taking them again as a refresher before I apply for the physics school. I am also going to take EM non-matricular.

1. What is Plasma Physics?

Plasma Physics is a branch of physics that studies the properties and behavior of plasma, which is a state of matter consisting of a gas of ions and electrons. It is the fourth state of matter, in addition to solid, liquid, and gas.

2. What are the prerequisites for studying Plasma Physics?

The prerequisites for studying Plasma Physics include a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in calculus and differential equations. A background in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics is also necessary. Knowledge of computer programming and numerical methods can also be beneficial.

3. Is a background in nuclear physics necessary for studying Fusion?

While a background in nuclear physics can be helpful in understanding certain concepts in Fusion, it is not a prerequisite. A strong foundation in physics and mathematics is more essential for studying Fusion.

4. What are some recommended resources for learning about Plasma Physics and Fusion?

There are many resources available for learning about Plasma Physics and Fusion, including textbooks, online courses, and research papers. Some recommended resources include "Plasma Physics and Fusion Energy" by Jeffrey P. Freidberg, the online course "Plasma Physics: Introduction" by MIT OpenCourseWare, and the journal "Nuclear Fusion."

5. What are some current challenges in Plasma Physics and Fusion research?

Some current challenges in Plasma Physics and Fusion research include developing sustainable and efficient methods for creating and containing plasma, understanding and controlling plasma instabilities, and finding ways to increase the efficiency and stability of fusion reactions. There is also ongoing research into developing advanced technologies for harnessing fusion energy for practical applications.