Preserving breast milk for jewelry

• Thread starter Ty2828
  • Start date
In summary, the goal of this project is to preserve breast milk into a dry powder form. The powder will be resistant to mold and will remain white. The process of making the powdered milk includes adding a preservation compound made of powdered chemicals. It is unclear what this compound is, but it is likely poisonous if not handled carefully. The powder will kill microbes and the resin will darken over time.
Purchased the Etsy recipe almost a year ago and bought all the ingredients it requires from Amazon. The many samples we made with with my wife’s milk came out very well and 8 months later are still in great condition. You could follow the link for the Etsy store recipe and try buying it to give it a whirl.

Likes Naomidom
Chemistry news on Phys.org
JediJ2308 said:
I found an Etsy page and bought the download! Here are the ingredients:

1. baking powder
  2. baking soda
  3. arrowroot powder
  4. pickling lime (calcium hydroxide)
  5. calcium chloride pulverized
  6. borax
  7. EDTA (calcium disodium)
  8. lye (pulverized)
The download has a ton of info like amounts and directions. Worth it in my opinion for those of us who want to do this full time, otherwise just buy a small amount of the powder for your own personal use. https://www.etsy.com/listing/103142...der&ref=sr_gallery-1-6&organic_search_click=1
Hi I clicked on the link but the product is no longer available.. Would anyone who purchased this be willing to share the formula with me.
I just want to create some jewellery for myself as a first time mum and have been researching for months now and this is the first time I have any hope at all of finding the magic powder formula!

I really wonder how a PDF file can be "Out Of Stock."

Perhaps, if there is no copyright notice, @dreadless could just send the recipe.

A Google search of Can a Recipe Be Copyrighted returns many results indicating that the list of ingredients can NOT be copyrighted. Many also state that the instruction, directions, etc CAN be copyrighted, and suggest that those be reworded (at least somewhat creatively) if you are passing-on the recipe.

https://www.google.com/search?&q=can+a+recipe+be+copyrighted

Good Luck!

Almost everything you create is copyright - images, documents, books, a web template or entire site, whatever. There is no need to have a copyright sign and a date. Unless it specifically says "this is placed in the public domain and free to use", it is copyright. People assume, very wrongly, that putting something on a website means it is now in the public domain. It is not. It is public knowledge, but copyright.

People add a Copyright sign to avoid court cases and arguments, but it is not necessary. They add it in books and magazines because some publications that pay for the content to be written take over the copyright, so authors who don't sign over copyright want to state implicitly that it is still their property, not the publishers.

The creator of the original PDF document owns the copyright of the document.

PS I suspect that by recipe it is really referring to the recipe for a cake or similar. The mixture would be considered as a formulation, and different formulations are usually copyright.

Lesha said:
breast milk + preservative (Optiphen) + citric acid (mix those three)
boil in double boiler (not sure if best boil then mix or mix then boil)
leave to dry on wax paper for minimum 2 days then put in mold then apply resin (anyone can suggest UV filter resin?!)
Have you had any luck/good results?

There is formula on etsy. I don't have it so can't say if it works.

edit by mod: this link was posted countless times, please, do read thread before answering

Last edited by a moderator:
I was following this thread, i tried with talcum and it turned good. Not sure how long it will hold its colour.

Attachments

• IMG-20220709-WA0006.jpeg
    IMG-20220709-WA0006.jpeg
    22.4 KB · Views: 180
Okay, so it's been a couple of months. Anyone experiences to share?

chemisttree said:
Water will react with most resins so the water fraction of the fluid must be “fixed” in a chemical manner. This can be easily done by adding plaster of paris (the hemihydrate of calcium sulfate) and allowing it to harden. The result of this reaction is the dihydrate of calcium sulfate. This is simply gypsum powder like you would find in “desert rose.” It helps that the plaster is a brilliant white just like milk.
The instructions call for grinding the hardened (they refer to it as dry) plaster into a powder and suspending that into the resin. Drying something like this will prevent bacterial growth if kept sealed from atmospheric moisture... like maybe suspending it into some epoxy. The white of gypsum will stay that way for the ages! The resin will darken long before the remaining proteins and fats will cause any problem.
So should I mix plaster of paris into my breastmilk or gypsum powder?

Plaster of Paris and gypsum powder are the same thing (chemically calcium sulfate hemihydrate).

Ty2828 said:
TL;DR Summary: I’m looking for help to find the right preservatives for preserving breast milk in order to make jewelry with resin.

Hi everyone! My wife and I want to make breast milk jewelry but I’m having issues finding the right preservatives and amounts to use. We will be heating approx 5ml of milk and need a chemical preservative to mix in order to keep the milk from turning bad after months/years in the resin. The idea is to heat the milk with the chemicals until it’s a paste then spread it on wax paper. After it completely dries/(100% free of moisture )the product will be crushed into powder and mixed with the resin to make jewelry. I have optiphen and sodium benzoate. Would these be helpful? I’m no chemistry pro so just looking for opinions! Thanks
Hello
How much preservative powder should be added with 5ml of milk?

MamaBear01 said:
Hi I clicked on the link but the product is no longer available.. Would anyone who purchased this be willing to share the formula with me.
I just want to create some jewellery for myself as a first time mum and have been researching for months now and this is the first time I have any hope at all of finding the magic powder formula!
Did you use on it

Hi everyone,.... anyone had any luck with this since Jan!?

JulesB-S said:
Hi everyone,.... anyone had any luck with this since Jan!?
This subject has already more answers than it deserves.

Thread closed.

• Love
Likes chemisttree, bob012345 and pinball1970