Pressure Field Equation / Differentials

In summary, the equation states that: F_y = (P+\frac{\partial{p}}{\partial{y}}\frac{\delta{y}}{2})*\delta{x}\delta{z}
MacLaddy
Gold Member
Hello folks,

I am having difficulty comprehending some material in my fluid dynamics course. This is not a homework question, just something missing in my understanding.

When proving the "Pressure Field Equation," (something I am not yet able to do) there is a series of steps my instructor took.

[itex]P=P_1+\Delta{P}[/itex]
[itex]P=P_1+\Delta{y}\frac{dp}{dy}[/itex]

Which somehow, magically, leads to...

[itex]F_y = (P+\frac{\partial{p}}{\partial{y}}\frac{\delta{y}}{2})*\delta{x}\delta{z}[/itex]

So my question is this.

[itex]\frac{dp}{dy}[/itex] is simply the change of P wrt y

[itex]\frac{\partial{p}}{\partial{y}}[/itex] is the change of p wrt y in a particular direction, or part of the gradiant.

But what in the sam is [itex]\frac{\delta{y}}{2}[/itex]?

Why the delta?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mac

Engineering news on Phys.org
fzero said:
If you're dealing with a scenario as in the figure at http://www-mdp.eng.cam.ac.uk/web/library/enginfo/aerothermal_dvd_only/aero/fprops/statics/node5.html, then ##\delta y## is the length of one side of the box. The distance ##\Delta y## that appears in your equation is the distance between the center of the box and the appropriate side, which is ##\delta y/2##.

Great, thank you for the link. That is a better representation then my textbook provides. It treats the lengths as ##\delta y##, whereas this link just shows the lengths as dx, dy, and dz. It seems a new character was introduced without any real need.

Mac

1. What is the Pressure Field Equation?

The Pressure Field Equation, also known as the Navier-Stokes Equation, is a mathematical equation that describes how pressure, velocity, and viscosity (resistance to flow) affect the motion of fluids. It is used to model a wide range of physical phenomena, from weather patterns to fluid flow in pipes.

2. How is the Pressure Field Equation derived?

The Pressure Field Equation is a combination of the continuity equation, which states that mass is conserved in a fluid, and the Navier-Stokes equations, which describe the motion of fluids. The derivation involves applying principles of calculus and fluid mechanics to these equations.

3. What is the significance of the Pressure Field Equation in fluid dynamics?

The Pressure Field Equation is the fundamental equation used to model fluid flow in a wide variety of applications. It allows scientists and engineers to predict the behavior of fluids in different scenarios, such as in pipes, around objects, or in the atmosphere. It is also used in the design of aircraft, ships, and other vehicles.

4. What are different ways of solving the Pressure Field Equation?

There are several methods for solving the Pressure Field Equation, depending on the specific problem being studied. Some common techniques include numerical methods, such as finite difference or finite element methods, and analytical methods, which involve finding exact solutions through mathematical manipulation. Simplifications and approximations may also be used to make the equation easier to solve.

5. What are the applications of the Pressure Field Equation?

The Pressure Field Equation has many practical applications in fields such as aerospace engineering, meteorology, and oceanography. It is used to model fluid flow in pipes, pumps, and turbines, as well as in natural phenomena like weather patterns and ocean currents. It also plays a key role in the design and optimization of various technologies, such as aircraft wings and wind turbines.