Pressure Gradient in Hydrostatic Equilibrium

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an isothermal atmosphere and the equation for gas pressure gradient in hydrostatic equilibrium to show that the gas pressure decreases exponentially with height. There is a discussion on manipulating the ideal gas equation to form a relationship and solving a differential equation to find the number density as a function of r.
SHISHKABOB

Homework Statement

Consider an isothermal atmosphere (T = const.) over a sufficiently small range of radii, so that you can assume that the gravitation acceleration g is constant. Use the equation for the gas pressure gradient in hydrostatic equilibrium to show that the gas pressure decreases exponentially with height.

Homework Equations

[itex]\frac{dP}{dr} = -g\rho[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

so I solve the differential equation for P and I get

[itex]P = -\rho gr = \frac{-GM\rho}{r}[/itex]

I think I'm doing something really dumb here...

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Shishkabob! :biggrin:

You need to re-check solving your differential equation. Is the density independent of pressure? Can you simply use it as a constant??

(Hint : Think about manipulating the ideal gas equation to form a relation)

oh okay, thanks for the tip. I found a relationship between the number density of the gas and the pressure, and so I had a differential equation that was dn/dr. Which I solved for the number density as a function of r and then just resubstituted stuff in for pressure.

What is pressure gradient in hydrostatic equilibrium?

Pressure gradient in hydrostatic equilibrium refers to the change in pressure as a function of height in a fluid at rest. This gradient is responsible for maintaining the equilibrium of the fluid and preventing it from collapsing under its own weight.

How is pressure gradient related to hydrostatic equilibrium?

Pressure gradient is a crucial factor in maintaining hydrostatic equilibrium. In a fluid at rest, the pressure increases with depth due to the weight of the fluid above it. This increase in pressure must be balanced by a decrease in pressure gradient, resulting in a state of equilibrium.

What is the formula for pressure gradient in hydrostatic equilibrium?

The formula for pressure gradient in hydrostatic equilibrium is dP/dz = -ρg, where dP/dz represents the change in pressure (P) with respect to change in height (z), ρ is the density of the fluid, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

Why is pressure gradient important in understanding atmospheric conditions?

Pressure gradient plays a crucial role in determining the movement of air in the atmosphere. Differences in pressure from one location to another cause air to flow from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure, resulting in winds. Understanding pressure gradient is essential for predicting weather patterns and studying atmospheric conditions.

How does pressure gradient affect the behavior of fluids in motion?

Pressure gradient is a determining factor in the behavior of fluids in motion. In addition to maintaining hydrostatic equilibrium, pressure gradient also causes fluids to flow from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure. This is the principle behind many natural phenomena, such as ocean currents and atmospheric circulation patterns.