Pressure in a Rectangular Tank

In summary, the conversation discusses a rectangular tank filled with gasoline and the calculation of gauge pressure at a certain depth below the surface. Various formulas and values are mentioned, with the final conclusion being that the depth below the surface of the fluid should be used in the calculation.
uno
1. A rectangular tank 2.0 m by 2.0 m by 3.5 m high contains gasoline, with a density of 0.68E3 kg/m3, to a depth of 2.5 m. What is the gauge pressure anywhere 1.2 m below the surface of the gasoline?

2. P=Ps + Pl Pl=density (g) (h)

3. I'm sure this is an easy problem, but I don't know where I am going wrong. I set Ps to atmospheric pressure at 1.013 E5 and Pl = .68 E3 (9.81) (2.5). I added Ps and Pl together to get 1.18 E5, but this is incorrect. Please help out if you can. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I found a new formula. P = Pa + Pg. My question is: when I use P= density x gravity x height, what value do I enter for the height? 3.5 or 2.5? Thanks

uno said:
My question is: when I use P= density x gravity x height, what value do I enter for the height? 3.5 or 2.5?
Neither. You'd use the depth below the surface of the fluid. (That formula gives the pressure due to the weight of the fluid, which in this case is the gauge pressure.)

Related to Pressure in a Rectangular Tank

1. What is the formula for calculating pressure in a rectangular tank?

The formula for calculating pressure in a rectangular tank is P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the liquid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the liquid column.

2. How is the pressure in a rectangular tank affected by the liquid density?

The pressure in a rectangular tank is directly proportional to the density of the liquid. This means that as the density increases, the pressure also increases.

3. How does the height of the liquid column affect the pressure in a rectangular tank?

The pressure in a rectangular tank is directly proportional to the height of the liquid column. This means that as the height increases, the pressure also increases.

4. What is the unit of measurement for pressure in a rectangular tank?

The unit of measurement for pressure in a rectangular tank is typically expressed in Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

5. What factors can cause the pressure in a rectangular tank to change?

The pressure in a rectangular tank can change due to changes in the liquid density, changes in the height of the liquid column, or changes in the acceleration due to gravity. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and atmospheric pressure can also affect the pressure in a rectangular tank.