Pressure of Inert Gas in kN/m^2: 167.82 | Well-Type Manometer

In summary, the mercury manometer has a well of 0.02m^2 area and a tube of 40mm^2 area. The liquid has a density of 13,534 kg/m^3. The pressure of the inert gas in kN/m^2 if the height of the measuring column is 500 mm is 167.82kN/m^2.
Irene Jin
Homework: Misplaced Thread
A well-type mercury manometer has a well of 0.02m^2 area and a tube of 40mm^2 area. The liquid has a density of 13,534 kg/m^3.Given that the tube is open to the atmosphere and the well is connected to the inert gas manometer was to measure:
Calculate the pressure of the inert gas in kN/m^2 if the height of the measuring column is 500 mm.

The answer given is 167.82kN/m^2.

Physics news on Phys.org
I can't get the ans, need help with this question

You must show us your work. What have you tried so far?

anorlunda said:
You must show us your work. What have you tried so far?
So sorry is my first time asking a question here. The main problem here is, I don't really know how to start, totally don't understand the question. Need some guides

Well, what have you studied? Do you know the math of fluid dynamics? What course does this homework come from?

anorlunda said:
Well, what have you studied? Do you know the math of fluid dynamics? What course does this homework come from?
Currently I am in the marine engineering course. And we are not studying the chapter "measurement of process pressure" we just learned how to find the differential pressure, so there are a few equation u can use to find it.

Manage to solve it. So basically I use the formula p2-p1=density*g*h(a/A+1)
So for this question since it stated that its open to the atmosphere thus p1 will equal to the standard atmospheric pressure which is 1.013*10^5 N/M^2, which I didn't know it at first.
So this is how I did it :
P2- (1.013*10^5) =13534*9.81*0.5(40*10^6/0.02 +1)
P2=167817 (N/m^2) / 167.82 (kN/m^2)

Likes anorlunda

What is the pressure of the inert gas in kN/m^2?

The pressure of the inert gas in kN/m^2 is 167.82.

What is a well-type manometer?

A well-type manometer is a device used to measure the pressure of a gas or liquid in a closed system. It consists of a U-shaped tube filled with a liquid, with one end connected to the system being measured and the other end open to the atmosphere.

How does a well-type manometer work?

The well-type manometer works by balancing the pressure of the gas or liquid in the system being measured with the weight of the liquid in the U-shaped tube. The difference in height between the two sides of the tube indicates the pressure difference between the system and the atmosphere.

What is the unit of measurement for pressure in a well-type manometer?

The unit of measurement for pressure in a well-type manometer is kN/m^2, which stands for kilonewtons per square meter. This is a unit of pressure commonly used in scientific and engineering applications.

Why is the pressure of the inert gas important to measure?

The pressure of the inert gas is important to measure because it can provide valuable information about the state of a closed system. Pressure changes can indicate leaks, blockages, or other issues within the system, and monitoring the pressure can help ensure the system is functioning properly and safely.