Message editor problems quoting double dollar LaTex

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Stephen Tashi
  • Start date
In summary, there was a problem with quoting the original post in the message editor, specifically when using double dollar signs. This issue has been addressed by @Greg Bernhardt, who noted that this is a known phenomenon and provided a workaround solution. The problem was related to quoting excerpts rather than the entire original post.
Physics news on Phys.org
It works fine for me, reply as well as quote.

@Greg Bernhardt indicated that double dollar has been permanently left in, so we can read posts originally written using double dollar. Some other factor is at play. Greg?

The problem I had didn't involve quoting the entire original post. I was quoting excerpts.

Stephen Tashi said:
The problem I had didn't involve quoting the entire original post. I was quoting excerpts.
This is a known phenomenon. If you quote excerpts, then MathJax marks are often lost. @Greg Bernhardt explained it (a technical reason) in another thread but I have forgotten where and why. If you don't want to correct the code, then it's best to reply to the entire post and delete what isn't needed for your reply. I have the shortcut [/Quote]<my comment>[Quote] on the keyboard which allows me to insert comments in between.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What is LaTex?

LaTex is a typesetting language commonly used in the scientific community for writing and formatting documents, particularly those with complex mathematical equations.

2. How do I use LaTex in my message editor?

In most message editors, you can use LaTex by enclosing your equation or formula in double dollar signs ($$). This will tell the editor to interpret the text as LaTex code rather than regular text.

3. Why am I having problems quoting LaTex with double dollar signs?

Double dollar signs are a common way to quote LaTex code in message editors, but some editors may have their own rules for quoting. It's possible that your editor is conflicting with the double dollar sign syntax, causing problems with quoting.

4. How can I fix message editor problems with quoting double dollar LaTex?

If you are having issues with quoting double dollar LaTex, you can try using a different syntax for quoting, such as backticks (`) or single quotes (''). You can also try adjusting your editor's settings to allow for double dollar sign quoting.

5. Are there any alternatives to using double dollar signs for LaTex in message editors?

Yes, there are several alternatives to using double dollar signs for LaTex in message editors. Some editors have built-in LaTex support, while others may require the use of special plugins or extensions. It's important to research your specific editor to find the best method for including LaTex in your messages.