Previous regular forum members

In summary, the conversation discusses the absence of certain members on the PF forum and speculates on the reasons for their departure. It is mentioned that some members may have become active on other platforms, while others may have passed away. It is also noted that people may simply move on from the forum after a certain point. The conversation ends with a comment on the diversity of age among PF members and the enjoyment of discussing science on the forum.
Suraj M
Gold Member
I was just googling something which led me to an old PF thread, i saw a few awarded members like @hootnany, @Kurdt, @Njorl @Enigma and many more.I don't see them around, What happened to them??
PS I'm sorry if i included someone who actually is still around(i haven't)

Physics news on Phys.org
Suraj M said:
What happened to them?

Nothing, they became active somewhere else. They can post here any time.

Did "big extinction of species" on PFs occurred in period 2013-2014?

Likes Suraj M
None that I am aware of. It happened that there were several changes in the staff last year though, more that in earlier years. But most of former Mentors are still with us, they just resigned from the active duty. It is a time consuming work, often interfering with our other jobs.

PF has been around so long now that, some people who were extremely active in the early days actually have passed away. Boulderhead, one of my favorites, SelfAdjoint, and, I believe Quartodecimain, were all older when PF came to be and succumbed to illnesses. Then there's the more recent loss of the considerable contributor, Arildno.

For the most part, though, it seems people get their fill after a certain point and move on, seeking novelty elsewhere. I, myself, find I have to take long breaks from PF, and the internet in general.

Likes Lisa!
there's such a huge age gap between the members in PF we still manage to help each other out, amazing!
RIP those who are not with us anymore ! Sad never got to see them around(on PF)

zoobyshoe said:
For the most part, though, it seems people get their fill after a certain point and move on

Fill of what? Too much science? I can't get too filled on that. Move on? where? Desperate housewives? Modern Family? The View? PF is prime time entertainment in my view:biggrin:

Likes Suraj M
They.. I don't know, I'm lurking kind of o0)

Question 1: Who are previous regular forum members?

Previous regular forum members are individuals who were active participants in a forum in the past but are no longer actively engaging in the forum. They may have left the forum for various reasons such as loss of interest, busy schedules, or disagreement with forum policies.

Question 2: Why do some forum members become inactive?

There are multiple reasons why forum members may become inactive. Some may lose interest in the topic being discussed, while others may have busy schedules that prevent them from regularly participating. Some members may also leave due to personal reasons or disagreements with other forum members.

Question 3: Can previous regular forum members rejoin the forum?

Yes, previous regular forum members are always welcome to rejoin the forum if they wish to do so. Most forums have a way for inactive members to reactivate their accounts and resume participating in discussions.

Question 4: How does the absence of previous regular forum members affect the forum?

The absence of previous regular forum members may lead to a decrease in overall activity and participation in discussions. It may also result in a loss of diverse perspectives and opinions on various topics, as each member brings their unique experiences and knowledge to the forum.

Question 5: Do previous regular forum members still have access to old forum discussions?

In most cases, previous regular forum members still have access to old forum discussions even if they are no longer active. However, some forums may have policies in place that delete inactive members' accounts and their contributions after a certain period of time.