Prior military thinking of physics/engineering degree

In summary: So, an aerospace engineer designs, tests, and maintains things that have wind resistance, such as the aerodynamics of a car or a plan. They may also work on CAD designs. They are typically prior military and use the GI bill to get a degree in physics.
AKing2713
So, about 3 years ago I was on these forums getting an idea of what I wanted to do after I got out of the military. My how time flys because my military service is almost up as I have a little more than a year left.

My job in the Air Force is an avionics tech on fighter jets. I love my job minus the red tape(that needs to be there) due to the lives at risk. I like getting my hands dirty but I also like to learn how the stuff actually works and the physics/science behind the component that I am working on. I guess my views on what I want to do has changed a bit compared to when I first joined the air force but I still have a love for physics and space. So instead of going for a straight up physics degree or astronomy degree I was leaning more towards an aerospace engineering degree but have a few questions. What does an aerospace engineer actually do on a day to day basis? I know this is a broad question but I am wondering how closely realted my current job in the military would be to something I might find with an aerospace degree. Also what colleges have good aerospace engineering programs? I hoping to find something that isn't to terribly expensive but I do have my GI bill to fall back on as well as A LOT of grants being prior military. Also how much of a demand does the market actually have for someone with an aerospace degree(I also currently have an associates in applied science of avionics due to my job)? I realize I should not pick a degree purely based on what the market has to offer but I am a realist at heart. I would rather being doing a job I sort of love and have food on the table than one that I truly love and be broke.

Thank you for all who are reading!

Physics news on Phys.org
Does anyone have any insight to any of my questions?

As far aerospace Engineerjng goes, they probably design, test and maintain all things that have wind resistance. Like the aerodynamics of a car or a plan. Probably a lot I work on CAD. I'm prior military too doing electrical Engineering and the gi bill is great! Good luck in yor future plans and thank you for your service.

I was a US Navy Electronics Tech ('69-'73), working on ship board radar repeaters (the display), who used the GI bill to get a degree in Physics.

Your technician experience would be a very big asset in getting a AE degree. You will have a lot of experience which should help grasp the concepts being presented.

Be careful though as some of the things the AF taught you may need to be tweaked. Do not be too much in love with anything you think you know.

I can understand your interest in pursuing a degree in aerospace engineering after your military service. It seems like you have a strong passion for understanding the science and physics behind the components you work on, which is a great foundation for a career in aerospace engineering.

In terms of what an aerospace engineer does on a day-to-day basis, it can vary depending on the specific job or project. Generally, aerospace engineers design, test, and oversee the production of aircraft, spacecraft, and other aerospace-related systems. This can involve using computer-aided design (CAD) software, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to ensure the safety and efficiency of these systems. Your experience as an avionics tech in the military can definitely be beneficial in this field, as you likely have hands-on experience with aircraft systems and a strong understanding of their inner workings.

When it comes to choosing a college with a good aerospace engineering program, there are many options available. Some top schools for aerospace engineering include the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Georgia Institute of Technology, and the University of Michigan. It's important to research and compare programs to find one that aligns with your career goals and fits your budget.

In terms of job demand, the aerospace industry is constantly growing and evolving, so there is definitely a demand for qualified aerospace engineers. Your military experience and previous degree in avionics will also make you a competitive candidate in the job market.

I understand your concern about choosing a degree based on job market demand, but it's also important to consider your personal interests and strengths. Pursuing a degree in a field that you are passionate about will not only make you happier in your career, but it can also lead to greater success in the long run. I encourage you to research and explore your options, and to speak with advisors and professionals in the aerospace industry to gain more insight and guidance.

Thank you for your service in the military, and best of luck in your future endeavors!

What is the benefit of having a prior military background when pursuing a degree in physics or engineering?

A prior military background can provide valuable experience in organization, discipline, and problem-solving skills. These skills can translate well into the rigorous and analytical nature of physics and engineering studies. Additionally, many universities offer special scholarships or programs for veterans, making it a more financially feasible option for pursuing a degree.

Do military training and experience directly relate to physics and engineering?

While military training and experience may not directly relate to the subject matter of physics and engineering, they can provide a strong foundation in critical thinking, leadership, and teamwork skills. These skills are essential in any scientific or engineering field.

What challenges do military veterans face when transitioning into a physics or engineering degree?

One of the biggest challenges for military veterans when transitioning into a physics or engineering degree is adjusting to the academic environment. Military training often emphasizes practical and hands-on skills, while academic studies require a more theoretical and abstract approach. Time management and study skills may also be a challenge for veterans who have been out of school for a while.

How can a prior military background enhance a physics or engineering degree?

A prior military background can enhance a physics or engineering degree in several ways. The discipline and attention to detail learned in the military can help students excel in their coursework and research. Additionally, the diverse perspectives and experiences of military veterans can bring a unique and valuable perspective to the field.

Are there any specific resources or programs available for military veterans pursuing a degree in physics or engineering?

Yes, there are several resources and programs available for military veterans pursuing a degree in physics or engineering. Many universities have veteran resource centers that provide support and resources for veteran students. There are also scholarship programs specifically for veterans, such as the Tillman Scholars program and the GI Bill benefits. Additionally, some military branches offer tuition assistance for active-duty service members pursuing a degree.