Probability IB Math HL: Is it a difficult question to solve?

In summary, the problem is to find the probability of picking 8 cards without replacement from a bag containing 117 cards numbered from 1 to 6, resulting in a sum of 28. The given probabilities of each number can be used to calculate the overall probability.
coolfish21
TL;DR Summary
I have not been able to figure out the solution. Can anyone help me with this?

A person picks 8 cards without replacement from a bag containing cards numbered from 1 to 6 (117 in total). What is the probability that the sum of those 8 cards is 28? Given that P(1)=8/117, P(2)=14/117, P(3)=34/117, P(4)=39/117. P(5)=14/117 and P(6)=8/117.
A person picks 8 cards without replacement from a bag containing cards numbered from 1 to 6 (117 in total). What is the probability that the sum of those 8 cards is 28? Given that P(1)=8/117, P(2)=14/117, P(3)=34/117, P(4)=39/117. P(5)=14/117 and P(6)=8/117.

Physics news on Phys.org
Where does this problem come from?
What did you try so far?
This will probably need ugly casework. With replacement it would be much easier.

coolfish21 said:
Summary:: I have not been able to figure out the solution. Can anyone help me with this?

I suggest you write a computer program to do it.

First step: list all combination which add to 28. The probability in each case is straightforward. Then add.

1. What is the definition of probability in IB Math HL?

Probability in IB Math HL refers to the likelihood or chance of an event occurring. It is represented by a number between 0 and 1, with 0 indicating impossibility and 1 indicating certainty.

2. How is probability calculated in IB Math HL?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the classical definition of probability.

3. What are the different types of probability in IB Math HL?

There are three main types of probability in IB Math HL: theoretical, experimental, and subjective. Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations, experimental probability is based on data from actual experiments, and subjective probability is based on personal beliefs or opinions.

4. Is solving probability questions in IB Math HL difficult?

The difficulty of solving probability questions in IB Math HL depends on the complexity of the question and the student's understanding of the topic. With practice and understanding of the concepts, probability questions can become easier to solve.

5. How can I improve my understanding of probability in IB Math HL?

To improve your understanding of probability in IB Math HL, it is important to practice solving different types of probability questions and to review the underlying concepts. It can also be helpful to seek additional resources or guidance from a teacher or tutor.