Probability of Baseball Division Title

In summary: What if there are two ties?In summary, the probabilities for each team to win the division title are: Braves: 38/64, Giants: 13/64, Dodgers: 13/64. The sample space for possible ways of having a team win, including ties, can be laid out to better understand the probabilities.
simmonj7

Homework Statement

On the morning of September 30, 1982 the won lost records of the three leading baseball teams in the Western Division of the National league were:
Braves Won: 87 Lost:72
Giants Won: 86 Lost: 73
Dodgers Won: 86 Lost: 73
Each team had 3 games remaining. All 3 of the Giants' games were with the Dodgers and the 3 remaining games of the Braves were against the Padres. Suppose that the outcomes of all remaining games are independent and each game is equally likely to be won by either participant. For each team, what is the probability that it will win the division title? If two teams tie for first place, they have a a playoff game, which each team has an equal chance of winning.

Homework Equations

P(A|B) = P(AB)/P(B)
P(AB) = P(A)P(B) if events are independent
P(A) = P(A|B)P(B) + P(A|B[itex]^{c}[/itex])P(B[itex]^{c}[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start with this problem.
Since each team has an equally likely chance of winning any game, the probability that any team will win any game is 1/2.
So the probably that any team will win all three of the games they have left to play is (1/2)3. However, since the probably that they win a game is a half, the probability that they lose a game is also a half. So the probability that they win one game and lose 2 games or win 2 games and lost one game or lose all three games would still be (1/2)3.
I feel like there are a lot of cases to investigate in this problem potentially. I mean if the
Braves win all three games, they obviously will have the title no matter what the other two teams do. If the Braves win one game and either the Giants or the Dodgers win two games, there will be a tie. If the Braves win one game and the Giants or the Dodgers win 3 games, then they win, etc, etc, etc.
I don't even know if all these cases are supposed to matter in how I will get to what I want in the end. I realize that there will only be two main calculations since the Giants and the Dodgers both will have the same probability but I just don't even know where to begin on trying to find either their probability or the probability of the Braves.
Supposedly the answers are: Braves 38/64, Giants: 13/64, Dodgers: 13/64.

Any insight on to how I should go about this would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
How about laying out the sample space for possible ways of having a team win, e.g., one way the Braves would clinch if they won 4 games. What if there is a tie; what would then have to happen for someone to win?

Related to Probability of Baseball Division Title

What is the probability of a team winning the division title?

The probability of a team winning the division title depends on a variety of factors such as their current standing in the division, their performance throughout the season, and the strength of their competitors. It is difficult to determine an exact probability without considering all of these variables.

How is the probability of a team winning the division title calculated?

The probability of a team winning the division title is typically calculated using statistical models that take into account a team's performance, strength of schedule, and other relevant factors. These models use historical data and complex algorithms to make predictions about a team's chances of winning the title.

Can the probability of a team winning the division title change throughout the season?

Yes, the probability of a team winning the division title can change throughout the season as teams' performance and standings shift. For example, if a team goes on a winning streak, their chances of winning the division title may increase.

What is the difference between probability and odds in terms of a team winning the division title?

Probability and odds are two ways of expressing the likelihood of an event occurring. Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring between 0 and 1, while odds are typically expressed as a ratio of the number of favorable outcomes to the number of unfavorable outcomes. Both can be used to estimate the chances of a team winning the division title, but they are calculated and interpreted differently.

Are there any limitations to using probability to predict a team's chances of winning the division title?

Yes, there are limitations to using probability to predict a team's chances of winning the division title. Probability is based on historical data and statistical models, but it cannot account for unexpected events or changes in a team's performance. Additionally, probability is not a guarantee of future outcomes, so a team with a high probability of winning the division title may still ultimately lose.