Probability of seeing peak noise in a given time window

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of peak noise in an electric signal and the probability of seeing a noise voltage that reaches a certain level in a given time window. The probability depends on the bandwidth of the measurement apparatus and the model for the source of the noise, with various factors such as duration, amplitude, and occurrence frequency taken into account. A potential model for this probability is also presented using a recurrence relation and a generating function.
jaydnul
Hi!

Say I have a electric signal that has an RMS noise value of 10uV, I would calculate peak noise by multiplying by 6.6, so 66uV. I am looking for an equation that describes the probability of seeing a noise voltage that reaches 66uV in a given viewing time window. For example if I look at the voltage signal for 20us, what is the probability of seeing 66uV?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think it depends upon the "bandwidth" of your measurement apparatus. For instance if the bandwidth is 1MHz then you are effectively taking 20 independent "samples" in 20 us. What is the probability that a single sample exceeds 6.6 σ for a (presumably) Gaussian distribution?

Consider this is from a non statistician, so corrections are invited!

Likes DaveE
It depends on your model for the source of the noise.

If it is completely memoryless, the noise at an instant being independent of all preceding levels, then you have an infinity of independent samples in any interval. You are guaranteed to get maximum signal in there somewhere.

In practice, noise is not like that. Any actual source of noise will have some duration. Your model could have a number, possibly infinite, of independent noise sources, each with a Poisson distribution of occurrence and some distribution of duration and amplitude (and randomly +/-). These parameters would rapidly tail off down the sequence so that the sum of the noise stays reasonable.

But do you really care about the peak across a continuous interval, or as @hutchphd suggests, only at certain instantaneous samples in the interval?

Edit:
I've thought of a model that might be tractable.
An infinite population of sources independently, with probability that one will start of ##\lambda\delta t## in each period ##\delta t##. Of those currently active, each stops with probability ##\mu\delta t## in each period ##\delta t##.
That yields a differential equation in the form of a recurrence relation. Using a generating function turns it into a PDE in two independent variables.

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd and DaveE
Here's my attempt using the model I outlined:
Let ##P_n(t)## be the probability of n current sources at time t. For n>0:
##P_n(t+\delta t)=P_n(t)(1-\lambda\delta t-n\mu\delta t)+P_{n-1}(t)\lambda\delta t+P_{n+1}(t)(n+1)\mu\delta t##
and
##P_0(t+\delta t)=P_0(t)(1-\lambda\delta t)+P_{1}(t)\mu\delta t##.
Whence for n>0, in steady state:
##\dot P_n=-(\lambda+n\mu)P_n+\lambda P_{n-1}+(n+1)\mu P_{n+1}##
and
##\dot P_0=-\lambda P_0+\mu P_1##.
Using the generating function ##G(s)=\Sigma_{s=0}^\infty s^nP_n##, I get
##(1-s)G'=\sigma(1-s)G-\sigma P_0+P_1##, where ##\sigma=\lambda/\mu##.
Unfortunately, the solution appears to involve integrating a double exponential.

1. What is the definition of "peak noise" in the context of probability?

Peak noise refers to the maximum level of noise or signal interference that is observed within a given time window. It is often used to measure the strength or intensity of a signal and can be affected by various factors such as background noise, signal processing techniques, and environmental conditions.

2. How is the probability of seeing peak noise calculated?

The probability of seeing peak noise in a given time window is typically calculated using statistical methods such as probability distributions. This involves analyzing the distribution of noise levels within the time window and determining the likelihood of observing a peak noise value based on the data.

3. What factors can affect the probability of seeing peak noise?

The probability of seeing peak noise can be affected by various factors, including the sensitivity of the measuring equipment, the duration of the time window, the type and strength of the signal, and the presence of any external sources of noise or interference.

4. How can the probability of seeing peak noise be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce the probability of seeing peak noise in a given time window. These include using advanced signal processing techniques, increasing the sensitivity of the measuring equipment, minimizing external sources of noise, and optimizing the time window to capture the most relevant data.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the probability of seeing peak noise?

Understanding the probability of seeing peak noise can be useful in various fields, including telecommunications, signal processing, and data analysis. It can help improve the accuracy and reliability of measurements, identify and mitigate sources of interference, and optimize the performance of electronic devices and systems.