Probability of Winning in State Lottery: 4 Digits

In summary, the probability of winning in a state lottery where four digits are selected from 0 to 9, and any permutation of the selected integers results in a win, can be calculated using a counting argument. For the case of selecting 6, 7, 8, 9, the probability is 24/10000. In the case of selecting 6, 7, 8, 8, the probability is 12/10000. For the case of selecting 7, 7, 8, 8, the probability is 6/10000. And for the case of selecting 7, 8, 8, 8, the probability is
Hodgey8806

Homework Statement

In a state lottery, four digits are to be selected from 0 to 9. Suppose that you win if any permutation of your selected integers is drawn. Give the probability of winning if you select:

a) 6,7,8,9
b) 6,7,8,8
c) 7,7,8,8
d) 7,8,8,8

Homework Equations

Now, this is what I don't have.
I can easily find the a) by the multiplication rule 4*3*2*1.
But the next few don't make sense with any formula I am aware of. I found there probabilities with a tree diagram. Is there a formula to find out what happens if you replace a 9 with a repeated digit?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) 4*3*2*1 = 24. The probability is 24/10000.
b) Using a tree diagram, I get 12/10000
c) Another tree diagram, I get 6/10000
d) I thought I had a formula saying divide by 2, but it stops when the tree diagram gives a 4/10000

I really just need to be made aware of a relevant equation. If I have that, I can solve this on my own--I believe lol. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

i think you'll need to consider a counting argument for each case rather than finding a fits all equation

so there are 10.10.10.10 = 10^4 = 10000 possible outcomes for the lottery

now say we chose 8888 there is only one distinct arrangement of this number so the probability of winning is
1/10000

now say we chose 8887 there are 4 places the 7 could occur so there probability of winning is
4/10000

1. What is the probability of winning in the state lottery for 4 digits?

The probability of winning in the state lottery for 4 digits is 1 in 10,000. This means that for every 10,000 tickets sold, there is only one winning combination.

2. How is the winning combination chosen for the state lottery?

The winning combination for the state lottery is chosen through a computerized random number generator. This ensures that the selection is completely random and unbiased.

3. Can I increase my chances of winning by buying more tickets?

While buying more tickets does increase your chances of winning, it is important to remember that the probability of winning remains the same for each ticket. So, buying more tickets does not guarantee a win but it does give you more chances to win.

4. What are the odds of winning multiple prizes in the state lottery for 4 digits?

The odds of winning multiple prizes in the state lottery for 4 digits are not affected by previous wins. Each ticket has the same probability of winning, regardless of previous wins. However, the more tickets you buy, the higher your chances of winning multiple prizes.

5. Is it possible to predict the winning combination for the state lottery?

No, it is not possible to predict the winning combination for the state lottery. The selection process is completely random and there is no way to accurately predict the winning numbers. Any claims of being able to predict or guarantee a win should be viewed with skepticism.