Probability of Picking k Winning Numbers in a Lottery

In summary, the probability of picking k winning numbers in a lottery where 6 distinct numbers are selected at random from a set {1...50} is (44Ck)/(50C6). This is because for each value of k, the number of ways to pick the winning numbers is multiplied by the number of ways to pick the remaining losing numbers. There are 6Ck ways to pick the winning numbers and 44C(6-k) ways to pick the losing numbers.
Punkyc7
In a lottery , 6 distinct numbers are selected at random from a set {1...50} and designated as a winning number. The player picks six numbers beforehand hoping to include as many numbers as possible. Find the probability that the user picks k winning numbers for k=1,2..,6
So my one concern is that my answers don't sum to 1for K=0 I have (44C6)/(50C6)
for K=1 I have (44C5)/(50C6)
for K=2 I have (44C4)/(50C6)
for K=3 I have (44C3)/(50C6)
for K=4 I have (44C2)/(50C6)
for K=5 I have (44C1)/(50C6)
for K=6 I have (44C0)/(50C6)

My reasoning is that for k=0 you didnt pick any of the six numbers so you must have chosen 6 of the 44 remaining
and used similar reasoning for k=1...6
My question is are my answers right or did i miss something ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Let's consider the case K=2, for example. Let's call your chosen 6 numbers "winners" and the remaining 44 numbers "losers". 44C4 is the number of ways you can pick the 4 losers-- there you are right.

But how many ways are there for you to pick the 2 winners?

There are 6C2. So there should be 6C2 * 44C4Thanks that fixed it

Last edited:

1. What is the probability of picking k winning numbers in a lottery?

The probability of picking k winning numbers in a lottery depends on the total number of possible numbers and the number of numbers that need to be selected. For example, if there are 50 possible numbers and 6 numbers need to be selected, the probability would be 1 in 50,063,860.

2. How is the probability of picking k winning numbers calculated?

The probability of picking k winning numbers is calculated by dividing the number of possible combinations for selecting k numbers by the total number of possible combinations. This can also be represented as a fraction, with the number of desired outcomes (picking k winning numbers) over the total number of outcomes.

3. Can the probability of picking k winning numbers be increased?

The probability of picking k winning numbers cannot be increased, as it is determined by the total number of possible combinations. However, purchasing more tickets or selecting more numbers can increase the chances of winning, but this does not change the underlying probability.

4. Is the probability of picking k winning numbers the same for all lotteries?

No, the probability of picking k winning numbers can vary between different lotteries. Each lottery has its own set of rules and number of possible combinations, which can affect the overall probability of winning.

5. What are the odds of picking k winning numbers in a lottery?

The odds of picking k winning numbers in a lottery are the inverse of the probability. For example, if the probability is 1 in 50,063,860, the odds would be 50,063,859 to 1. This means that for every 50,063,860 tickets sold, only one will have the winning combination of k numbers.