Problem 2 rigid rods - Greenwood - Classical Dynamics

In summary, Donald uses the definition of generalized forces (1-73 on page 24) to calculate the forces on the system. However, I don't understand how he does this and there is a 'deeper' question that I haven't found yet.
lightarrow
From "Greenwood Donald T. - Classical Dynamics", Chapter 1, Section 1-4 (virtual work), Example 1-4:

https://books.google.it/books?id=x7rj83I98yMC&lpg=PP1&hl=it&pg=PA26#v=onepage&q&f=false

1) There are 3 mass points of the same mass m moving on a plane (even if the text doesn't specify this) and 2 constraints given by the two rods, so the degrees of freedom should be 2*3 - 2 = 4, not 3 as the text suggests (since it uses only 3 coordinates). Why? It has to do with the fact the horizontal distances between the mass point 1 and 2 and between 2 and 3 are the same = l, as in figure 1-8? Why the system cannot move horizontally? Which exactly are the constraints in this system?

2) I can't understand his first method to compute the generalized forces Q1, Q2, Q3, which ends with equations (1-77) and (1-78) (I have understood the subsequent method but not this). How does he do exactly?

--
lightarrow

Physics news on Phys.org
That would be page 26 ? At first I got page limit reached in Italian, later on I did get the picture. funny.

1a) There are 3 mass points of the same mass m moving on a plane (even if the text doesn't specify this) and 2 constraints given by the two rods, so the degrees of freedom should be 2*3 - 2 = 4, not 3 as the text suggests (since it uses only 3 coordinates). Why?

1b) It has to do with the fact the horizontal distances between the mass point 1 and 2 and between 2 and 3 are the same = l, as in figure 1-8?

1c) Why the system cannot move horizontally? Which exactly are the constraints in this system?

1a) You are right but they don't care about the horizontal position, apparently.

1b) No, that are the two constraints and they do use them

1c) It can move horizontally, but with the two constraints two of these coordinates disappear and for the third see 1a).

The generalization has a physical meaning (fig 1-9): q1 is the center of mass, q3 = q1 - x2 or the "bending" and q2 is the "tiliting".

---

2) I can't understand his first method to compute the generalized forces Q1, Q2, Q3, which ends with equations (1-77) and (1-78) (I have understood the subsequent method but not this). How does he do exactly?
Donald uses the definition of generalized forces (1-73 on page 24).

But I suppose you already found that. Is there a 'deeper' question ?

[edit] Not a good reply, I realize upon further reading in Greenwood. 1-73 is the second method he describes. So apparently he has a direct line from ##\delta q## to ##\delta W ##. Let me chew on that ...

Last edited:
BvU said:
That would be page 26 ?
Yes, that one.
1a) You are right but they don't care about the horizontal position, apparently.
I see; do you think it depends just on the fact the applied force and momentum don't make virtual work along the horizontal direction? Anyway it's quite unusual for me.
1b) No, that are the two constraints and they do use them
Can't understand: the rods lengths are constant, but their horizontal projections are not, even with the "small motions" he asks to assume.
1c) It can move horizontally, but with the two constraints two of these coordinates disappear and for the third see 1a).
The generalization has a physical meaning (fig 1-9): q1 is the center of mass, q3 = q1 - x2 or the "bending" and q2 is the "tilting".
---
Donald uses the definition of generalized forces (1-73 on page 24).
But I suppose you already found that. Is there a 'deeper' question ?

[edit] Not a good reply, I realize upon further reading in Greenwood. 1-73 is the second method he describes. So apparently he has a direct line from ##\delta q## to ##\delta W ##. Let me chew on that ...
Meanwhile, thank you for your answer.
Waiting for your next reply.

--
lightarrow

Related to Problem 2 rigid rods - Greenwood - Classical Dynamics

1. What is the problem of two rigid rods in Greenwood's classical dynamics?

The problem of two rigid rods in Greenwood's classical dynamics is a mathematical problem that involves analyzing the motion of two rigid rods connected at a common point and rotating about it. It is a common problem in classical mechanics that requires understanding of the principles of rotational dynamics and conservation of angular momentum.

2. What is the significance of this problem in classical dynamics?

This problem is significant in classical dynamics as it helps in understanding the behavior of rigid bodies under rotational motion and the principles governing their motion. It also serves as a basis for more complex problems involving multiple rigid bodies and their interactions.

3. What are the assumptions made in solving this problem?

In solving this problem, some assumptions are made such as the rods being perfectly rigid, the forces acting on the rods being conservative, and the absence of external torques. These assumptions simplify the problem and make the analysis more manageable.

4. How is this problem solved?

This problem is typically solved using the principles of rotational dynamics, such as the equations of motion for rotational motion and the conservation of angular momentum. The initial conditions and constraints of the system are also taken into account to determine the motion of the rods.

5. What are the applications of solving this problem?

The solution to this problem can be applied to various real-world scenarios, such as the motion of a pendulum or a spinning top. It also serves as a basis for understanding more complex systems, such as the motion of molecules and celestial bodies. Additionally, it has practical applications in fields such as engineering, robotics, and physics research.