Problem about tangent plane to surface

In summary, to find the points on the surface x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 7 where its tangent plane is parallel to 2x + 4y + 6z = 1, you need to take the cross product of the normal vectors of the surface and the plane, set it equal to zero, and solve for the values of x, y, and z that also satisfy the equation of the surface. This will give you two points on the surface that are parallel to the given plane.
supermiedos

Homework Statement

find the points on the surface x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 7 where its tangent plane is parallel to 2x + 4y + 6z = 1

Homework Equations

Equation of a tangent plane:

fx(x - x0) + fy(y - y0) + fz(z - z0) = 0, where fx means partial derivative of f respect to x
n1 X n2 = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

Two planes are parallel if the cross product of their normal vectors is zero. The normal vector of the surface is its gradient, that is: n1 = 2x i + 2y j + 2z k and the normal vector of the plane is
n2 = 2 i + 4 j + 6 k.

when I do n1 X n2 and equal it to zero, i get a system of 3 equations:

12y -8 z = 0, -12x + 4z = 0, 8x - 4y = 0, but it has a infinity number of solutions (y = 2x, z = 3x). what am I doing wrong?

the solutions according to the book is: (1/sqrt(2), sqrt(2), 3/sqrt(2) ) and (-1/sqrt(2), -sqrt(2), -3/sqrt(2)

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The points have to be on the surface, so x,y,z fulfil also the equation x^2 + y^2 + z^2 = 7.

ehild

Hi Supermiedos
You get an infinity of answers because you just solved the fact that 2 planes should be // to each others
Now you have to put them at specific points
Look at the first equation, it's a sphere with radius √7
So you know that for whichever plane you can think of, there will always be 2 planes // to some reference plane that happen to be at distance √7 from the origin
The second equation gives you the orthogonal vector of the plane, (2, 4, 6)
it really doesn't matter where the plane is, you just care about the direction
so imagine being at the origin, you have a given 'direction' (normalize this vector, it has norm=√14) and you want to 'hit the sphere' at two points, and those should be the one you are expecting

Thank you so much ehild and oli4. I tought I "involved" the sphere by using its gradient, but that was not enough of course. I solved it now and I got the answer. :)

Related to Problem about tangent plane to surface

1. What is a tangent plane to a surface?

A tangent plane to a surface is a flat plane that touches the surface at exactly one point. It is perpendicular to the surface at that point and represents the local behavior of the surface at that point.

2. How is the equation of a tangent plane to a surface determined?

The equation of a tangent plane can be determined by finding the gradient vector of the surface at the point of tangency. The equation of the tangent plane will then be of the form z = ax + by + c, where a, b, and c are constants determined by the gradient vector.

3. What is the significance of a tangent plane to a surface?

A tangent plane is important because it helps us visualize the behavior of a surface at a specific point. It can also be used to approximate the surface at that point and make predictions about its behavior.

4. Can a tangent plane intersect a surface at more than one point?

No, a tangent plane can only intersect a surface at one point. This is because a tangent plane is defined as being perpendicular to the surface at that point, and a line can only be perpendicular to a plane at one point.

5. How is the concept of a tangent plane used in real-world applications?

Tangent planes are used in various fields of study, such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. In physics, tangent planes are used to model the behavior of objects in motion or the shape of a wave at a specific point. In engineering, tangent planes are used to design and model curved surfaces in structures, such as airplane wings. In computer graphics, they are used to create realistic 3D models of objects and environments.