Problem: Calorimetry Mass of Water Needed to Cool Engine

In summary, we are given the specific heat of water and cast-iron, and the heat given off by a cooling engine and water. Using the equations Q=mc(deltaT) and Qcold=-Qhot, we can set up an equation to solve for the mass of water used to cool the engine. However, we do not know the initial temperature of the water, so we must assume that the water and engine are initially at the same temperature. By setting Qlost (heat expended) equal to the total energy equation, we can solve for the mass of water needed to cool the engine.
cardsrams82

Homework Statement

Given the specific heat of water is cw=4180 J/kgC
A 241 kg cast-iron engine contains water as a coolant. Suppose the engine's temperature is 31C when it is shut off and the air temperature is 15C. The heat given off by the engine and water in it as they cool to air temperature is 3.7X10^6 J. (Assume the specific heat of iron is 450 J/kgC)

What mass of water is used to cool the engine? Answer in units of kg.

Homework Equations

Q=mc(deltaT)
Qcold=-Qhot

The Attempt at a Solution

I first try using calorimetry to solve it by setting up an equation but ran into issues since I do not know the initial temperature of water. Any attempt at trying to substiute equations is giving me answers of 1, cancelling out the denominators and such. I then assumed that the combined heat given off (3.7X10^6J) was Q and tried to set the total Q = (MwCw(deltaT)). Again I keep running into the issue that I do not know the initial temperature of the water. I know the combined equilibreum temperate as the entire unit cools to the outside temperature of 15C. I know the heat exerted is 3.7X10^6. I know the mass of the material, the specific heat of both, and the initial temperature of the material. I assume the final heat is the same for both since both the engine and the water cooled to 15C as stated in the problem.What am I doing wrong and how should I go about solving this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
What do we know? We have two materials acting as heat reservoirs.

I suppose you have done collision problems, this is a collision of heat with known final velocity and initial velocities, searching a mass.

denverdoc said:
What do we know? We have two materials acting as heat reservoirs.

I suppose you have done collision problems, this is a collision of heat with known final velocity and initial velocities, searching a mass.

So we have m1 being the water that is holding heat when the engine is running. Then we have the m2 which is the iron engine holding heat until the engine is cooled. I don't see how I have known initial velocities though if I'm not given the initial temperature of the water. I know the amount of heat transferred from the cooling process (or collision process as you state). I know the initial temp or velocity of the heat process from the engine mass. I know the final equilebreum temperature of the two. Isn't the initial water temperature vital in this problem though?

Good point, the water and the engine must be assumed to be of equal temp.

which is where I run into problems, when I assume they have equal initial temps then the answer is incorrect. The problem only states that the engine has an initial temp of 31, it doesn't specify the waters initial temp. You would think with the heat expended you could calculate it.

Ok I see what I was doing wrong. I needed to take the Qlost, the heat expended, and set it equal to the total amount of energy which was MwCw(deltaT) + MeCe(deltaT). That gave me Mw=Qlost-MeCe(DeltaT)/Cw(DeltaT)

Thanks for trying though!

no problem, i should have gone into a little more detail.

But seems like all is well.

You were right though, its like a collision event between two heat sources, with Q lost being the total energy exerted by the system and the mass being the variable of interest.

Related to Problem: Calorimetry Mass of Water Needed to Cool Engine

1. What is calorimetry and how does it relate to cooling an engine?

Calorimetry is the science of measuring the heat exchanged during a chemical or physical process. In the case of cooling an engine, calorimetry can be used to determine the amount of thermal energy that needs to be removed from the engine in order to bring it to a desired temperature.

2. How is the mass of water needed to cool an engine calculated using calorimetry?

The mass of water needed to cool an engine is calculated by using the specific heat capacity of water and the change in temperature of the engine. This can be represented by the equation Q = m x c x ΔT, where Q is the amount of heat, m is the mass of water, c is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the change in temperature of the engine.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of using calorimetry to determine the mass of water needed to cool an engine?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of using calorimetry include human error in measurements, heat loss to the surroundings, and the assumption that all of the heat from the engine is transferred to the water. It is important to control these factors as much as possible to obtain accurate results.

4. Are there any other methods besides calorimetry that can be used to determine the mass of water needed to cool an engine?

Yes, there are other methods such as using temperature sensors and computer simulations. However, calorimetry is often the preferred method as it is relatively simple and cost-effective.

5. Can the mass of water needed to cool an engine be used to calculate the engine's heat capacity?

No, the mass of water needed to cool an engine cannot be used to calculate the engine's heat capacity. The heat capacity of an object is a property that depends on its material and cannot be determined by the amount of water needed to cool it. However, knowing the mass of water and the change in temperature can help in determining the engine's specific heat capacity.