Problem concerning a mass with charge in a homogeneous electric field

In summary, the speaker is confused about why their method is not working when trying to calculate the electric field for falling droplets. They believed that since the droplets are falling at a constant velocity, the net force is zero and therefore the electric field must also be zero. However, this is incorrect as the equation E=F/q refers to the electric force, not the net force.
youmei0426
Homework Statement
As stated in the photo
Relevant Equations
For a homogenous field: E=F/q

I know how the answer is C, since E=F/q and F=ma=mg. However, I am a bit confused as to why my other method doesn't work. I thought that since the droplets are falling at a constant velocity, there is not net force, so according to E=F/q the electric field must be zero then? This seems like a really weird way of thinking but I can't tell what exactly went wrong in my reasoning... Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
youmei0426 said:
I thought that since the droplets are falling at a constant velocity, there is not net force, so according to E=F/q the electric field must be zero then?

Your first line is correct, since the droplets are falling at constant velocity the net force is zero. So think about the second equation, ##E = \frac F q##. In this equation, what is F?

Likes youmei0426
youmei0426 said:
I thought that since the droplets are falling at a constant velocity, there is not net force,
That is correct.
youmei0426 said:
... so according to E=F/q the electric field must be zero then?
That is not correct. There is a difference between F and Fnet. The F in E = F/q is the electric force not the net force. Fnet is the sum of all the forces acting on the droplet.

Likes youmei0426

1. What is a homogeneous electric field?

A homogeneous electric field is a region where the electric field strength is constant in magnitude and direction. This means that the electric field lines are parallel and evenly spaced.

2. How does the mass of an object affect its movement in a homogeneous electric field?

The mass of an object does not affect its movement in a homogeneous electric field. The movement of an object in an electric field is determined by its charge and the strength of the electric field.

3. What is the equation for calculating the force on a mass with charge in a homogeneous electric field?

The equation for calculating the force on a mass with charge in a homogeneous electric field is F = qE, where F is the force in Newtons, q is the charge in Coulombs, and E is the electric field strength in Newtons per Coulomb.

4. How does the direction of the electric field affect the movement of a charged object?

The direction of the electric field determines the direction of the force on a charged object. The object will experience a force in the same direction as the electric field if it has a positive charge, and in the opposite direction if it has a negative charge.

5. Can the movement of a charged object in a homogeneous electric field be affected by other forces?

Yes, the movement of a charged object in a homogeneous electric field can be affected by other forces, such as gravity or friction. These forces can change the direction or speed of the object's movement in the electric field.