Problem in understanding analytical solution of LCR circuit

In summary: The impedance Z adds as a vector sum in complex space.In summary, the conversation discusses the use of phasor diagrams and differential equations in solving a series LCR circuit. The use of trigonometric functions such as sine and cosine is explained, as well as the concept of complex numbers and their real and imaginary parts. The importance of understanding the concept of adding voltages and the role of current and impedance in complex space is also highlighted.
ovais
Hi all,

I in my text they first did a phasor-diagram solution to a series LCR circuit and brought Z= under root of (R^2 +(Xc^2-XL^2)).

After this they use a differential equation for series LCR circuit and actually did not solve such hard two degree differential equation, rather they assume the solution to be q= q• sin(wt+€) and taking its first and second derivatives and used them in orignal differential equation. Then they divide it by Z= square root of(R^2+ (Xc^2-XL^2)) and tan¥=R/Z so that finally they get q• wZcos(wt+€-¥)= v• sinwt, from this equation they concluded that v•= q•wZ! This is where I am confused, how can one conclude this according to maths rule. If A*B= C*D, how can we say A=B? This is where I find it odd.

And yes I know the maximum values of the quanties on the sides must be equal as the maximum values of both sin and cos are one(1) but these the two(sin and cos) may not keep their maximum value at same time and hence to take both as one(1) at a single time is to distort this very fact that they may have different values also.

Thanks a bunch!

Physics news on Phys.org
There are some conceptual problems here. First - Phasor diagram is no solution it is an equivalent way of understanding the solution. Second The real solution of that differential equation is a complex function and sine and cosine are just real and imaginary parts of that solution. Because as we know the real parts and imaginary parts of a complex number add separately when you add two complex numbers, we find that these real functions are also the solutions of the given equation. Because voltages and currents and charges are real quantities we deal with these real functions either sine or cosine not both. dq/dt is i and i*Z = V.
Third - note that the instantaneous voltages just add. Current is the same for all the components.

Related to Problem in understanding analytical solution of LCR circuit

1. What is an LCR circuit?

An LCR circuit is an electrical circuit that contains an inductor (L), a capacitor (C), and a resistor (R). It is also known as a resonant circuit because it can resonate at a specific frequency, which is determined by the values of L, C, and R. LCR circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as radios and televisions.

2. What is the problem in understanding analytical solutions of LCR circuits?

The problem in understanding analytical solutions of LCR circuits lies in the complex mathematical equations and concepts involved. The equations used to analyze LCR circuits require a strong understanding of calculus and complex numbers, which can be challenging for those without a strong background in mathematics.

3. Why is it important to understand analytical solutions of LCR circuits?

Understanding analytical solutions of LCR circuits is important because it allows us to predict and analyze the behavior of these circuits. This is essential in designing and troubleshooting electronic devices that contain LCR circuits. It also helps us understand the principles of resonance and how it can be used in various applications.

4. How can I improve my understanding of analytical solutions of LCR circuits?

To improve your understanding of analytical solutions of LCR circuits, it is important to have a strong understanding of calculus and complex numbers. You can also practice solving LCR circuit problems and seek help from a tutor or teacher if needed. Additionally, there are many online resources and textbooks available that can help you learn and understand these concepts better.

5. Are there any real-life applications of LCR circuits?

Yes, LCR circuits have various real-life applications, such as in filters, oscillators, and frequency-selective amplifiers. They are also commonly used in electronic devices that require stable and precise frequencies, such as radios, televisions, and communication systems. Additionally, LCR circuits are used in medical equipment, power systems, and electronic music instruments.