Problem integrating with the disk method

In summary, the conversation discusses solving an exercise using spherical coordinates and dividing the region of integration into two parts: A1 and A2. The shape of the resulting region is determined by plotting r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2} vs z. The correct regions for integration are determined, and corrections are made to the integrals and algebraic work. The use of latex for inputting math is suggested.
Amaelle
Homework Statement
look at the image
Relevant Equations
polar coordinates
Good day I have the following exercice and it's solved using spherical coordinates
1613318590947.png

I totally agree with the solution but I have issue to find out why mine does not work
I used the the integration by disk
I divided the region of integration to 2 A1 and A2 (A2 is the upper half sphere and A1 is the region delimitated by the cone
1613318883639.png

1613318937608.png
Many thanks in advance!

Likes docnet
Physics news on Phys.org
How did you decide that those two regions A1 and A2 were the correct regions to plot? Try plotting [itex] r = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2}[/itex] vs z for the two conditions given. What is the shape of the resulting region?

Ignore that post. I think you have the regions correct. Another question. Why did you integrate from r=0 to r=√z in the first integral. Shouldn't it be from r=0 to r=z?

Also, I think you just did the algebra wrong in the second integral. I get [itex]\frac {13 \pi}{10}[/itex]

Last edited:
Likes Amaelle
1613324424788.png

this is the region I'm getting
the cone region I have gotten by calculation the integral from r= 0 to r=sqrt(z)
and the half sphere region that I got from r=0 to r=sqrt(2z-z^2)
I know something is wrong here
thanks

Please look at the edits to my post. I agree the regions look correct, but I think you made two errors in evaluating the integrals. Correct those and see what you get.

• Informative
Likes Amaelle
Also, you should learn to input the math in latex. It is much easier for us to read than pictures of your hand-written work.

• Informative
Likes Amaelle
thanks a million! it's ok now my mistake was that r=sqrt(z)!
you saved my life!

Likes phyzguy

1. What is the disk method for integration?

The disk method for integration is a technique used to find the volume of a solid of revolution by slicing the solid into thin disks and summing the volumes of these disks. It is typically used when the solid has a circular cross-section.

2. When should the disk method be used for integration?

The disk method should be used when the solid being integrated has a circular cross-section and when the axis of rotation is perpendicular to the circular cross-section. This method is also useful when the solid cannot be easily sliced into thin cylindrical shells.

3. How do you set up the integral for the disk method?

To set up the integral for the disk method, you need to determine the limits of integration, which are typically the bounds of the variable of integration. Then, you need to find the radius of each disk in terms of the variable of integration and the height of the disk. The integral will be the sum of the volumes of all the disks, which can be expressed as an integral using the radius and height functions.

4. What are the key steps in using the disk method for integration?

The key steps in using the disk method for integration are: 1) determining the limits of integration, 2) finding the radius of each disk in terms of the variable of integration, 3) finding the height of each disk, 4) setting up the integral as the sum of the volumes of all the disks, and 5) evaluating the integral to find the final answer.

5. Can the disk method be applied to solids with other cross-sections?

No, the disk method can only be applied to solids with circular cross-sections. For solids with other cross-sections, other methods such as the shell method or the washer method should be used.