Problem involving a derivative under the integral sign

In summary, Differentiating both sides w.r.t x, you get- {-\sin x {\int_{\frac{\pi^2}{16}}^{x^2}} \frac{\cos \sqrt{z}}{1+\sin^2 \sqrt{z}} dz+{ \frac{\cos x \cos x}{1+\sin^2{x}} 2x } - {0} }
Krushnaraj Pandya
Gold Member

Homework Statement

if ## f(x) ={\int_{\frac{\pi^2}{16}}^{x^2}} \frac {\cos x \cos \sqrt{z}}{1+\sin^2 \sqrt{z}} dz## then find ## f'(\pi)##
2. The given solution
Differentiating both sides w.r.t x
##f'(x) = {-\sin x {\int_{\frac{\pi^2}{16}}^{x^2}} \frac{\cos \sqrt{z}}{1+\sin^2 \sqrt{z}} dz }+{ \frac{\cos x \cos x}{1+\sin^2{x}} 2x } - {0} ##
then put ##\pi## in place of x to find the answer ##2 \pi##

3. The problems in the solution
Note- I have the solution but am unable to understand it. I encountered this while trying to learn the application of Newton-leibniz theorem and I'm comfortable with its basic application when integral is in the form ## \int_{n(x)}^{g(x)} f(x) dx##. I'm having trouble understanding
1) there are two variables, z and x wherein I have seen the theorem being applied only for a single variable everywhere.
2) The term after the plus sign is clearly the same procedure as in the theorem where the upper limit ##x^2## was put in place of z but it was not put in place of cosx as cos(x^2) but only for the rest of the function where z is present.
3) No idea how we got the first term. all I know is they differentiated cosx and somehow took -sinx out of the integral sign
maybe they used product rule of derivatives but is that possible under the integral sign?
Please help me learn this better and remove my conceptual doubts- I'd be really grateful. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is important here that the variable of integration is z, different than x. You can write the integral as ##f(x)=\cos x \cdot g(h(x)) ## where ##g(x)=\int_\frac{\pi^2}{16}^x\frac{cos\sqrt z}{1+\sin^2\sqrt z}dz## and ##h(x)=x^2##, that is you can treat ##\cos x## as constant with respect to z, cause z and x are independent variables.

Likes Krushnaraj Pandya
Did you apply the formula for differentiating integrals given in https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leibniz_integral_rule ?

It would not be correct to change ##\int_{a(x)}^{b(x)} f(x)g(z) dz ## to ##f(x) \int_{a(x)}^{b(x)} g(z) dz## before differentiating with respect to ##x##.

Likes Krushnaraj Pandya
Stephen Tashi said:
It would not be correct to change ##\int_{a(x)}^{b(x)} f(x)g(z) dz ## to ##f(x) \int_{a(x)}^{b(x)} g(z) dz## before differentiating with respect to ##x##.
I disagree, it is correct to do such a change, try to find a counter example where those two integrals are different...

As long as the variable of integration z is considered to be independent of x you can do such a change (and no the variable z doesn't become dependent to x because the limits of integration are a(x),b(x), it would be dependent if there was some function of x such that z=h(x)).

Likes Krushnaraj Pandya, Chestermiller and Orodruin
Delta² said:
I disagree, it is correct to do such a change,
You're correct. I'm wrong.

Likes Delta2
Delta² said:
I disagree, it is correct to do such a change, try to find a counter example where those two integrals are different...

As long as the variable of integration z is considered to be independent of x you can do such a change (and no the variable z doesn't become dependent to x because the limits of integration are a(x),b(x), it would be dependent if there was some function of x such that z=h(x)).
what Stephen Tashi said was my main doubt. Everything's clear now. Thank you everyone for helping me :D

Likes FactChecker and Delta2

1. What is a "problem involving a derivative under the integral sign"?

A "problem involving a derivative under the integral sign" refers to a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the derivative of an integral with respect to a variable that is also present in the limits of integration.

2. Why are "problems involving derivatives under the integral sign" important?

These types of problems are important because they allow us to evaluate integrals that cannot be solved using traditional methods. They also have practical applications in physics, engineering, and other fields.

3. How do you solve a "problem involving a derivative under the integral sign"?

To solve this type of problem, we use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states that the derivative of an integral is equal to the integrand evaluated at the upper limit of integration. We also use the chain rule and other differentiation rules as needed.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving "problems involving derivatives under the integral sign"?

One common mistake is forgetting to apply the chain rule when differentiating the integrand. Another mistake is not substituting the upper limit of integration into the integrand after taking the derivative.

5. Are there any tips for solving "problems involving derivatives under the integral sign" more efficiently?

One tip is to carefully identify which variable is the one we are differentiating with respect to, and which variables are constant. Another tip is to simplify the integrand as much as possible before taking the derivative to make the process easier.