Problem of superluminal communication in Non-local HVTs

In summary: I understand that (insofar as I do) the no-communication theorem is a theorem about hidden variables. But I find the no-communication theorem to be a little bit of a red herring, because it doesn't get at the root of the problem. The root of the problem is why the hidden variables must remain hidden. This is the same sort of question as why we cannot measure the hidden variables. We cannot measure them (in principle) because they don't enter into the probabilities we can calculate. They don't enter into the probabilities we can calculate because they are hidden. But why are they hidden? That's the issue. And this is where I am saying that there is no conspiracy. The hidden variables
Zcs
Hi there.

I have been studying on Bell Inequalities and hidden variables problem for quite some time now however my general knowledge on the problem of superluminal communication is superficial at best. I know that non of the standing interpretations (Everett, Copenhagen, Bohmian, QBist etc.) allow superluminal communication and I do know how Everett, Bohr-Copenhagen and QBists handle the formalism of it but I have no idea how Bohmians deal with it, I know that it has something to do with the guiding equation but that's all.

My request-problem here is that there are lots of misinformation on this subject and I don't want to waste my time trying to figure out which article or book is valid and which is not (I'm just a grad student and my advisor asked a quick review on the subject). Can anyone (especially if you are a Bohmian) kindly push me towards the general direction of some useful review articles on the subject, that would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:
Likes Zcs
With quantum mechanics as we know it, there is no way we can measure a single particle and tell if it's half of an entangled pair or not.

Because of this, there is no way to communicate faster than light via quantum entanglement even though the correlations between pairs of particles might really be nonlocal.

I would look up the no-signalling theorem (which this notion is based on) to learn more about this.

Likes bhobba
jfizzix said:
With quantum mechanics as we know it, there is no way we can measure a single particle and tell if it's half of an entangled pair or not.

Because of this, there is no way to communicate faster than light via quantum entanglement even though the correlations between pairs of particles might really be nonlocal.

I would look up the no-signalling theorem (which this notion is based on) to learn more about this.

In Wikipedia, it's called the no-communication theorem:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-communication_theorem

stevendaryl said:
In Wikipedia, it's called the no-communication theorem:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-communication_theorem

To me, there is something a little unsatisfying about a number of attempts to interpret the quantum predictions realistically (Bohm, transactional interpretation, superdeterminism, etc.) in light of the no-communication theorem. Although you can prove that it's impossible to communicate FTL using QM, in these various interpretations, this fact seems almost "accidentally" true. Bohm for instance, specifically has FTL influences, but these FTL influences happen to be impractical for communication. In the transactional interpretation (Cramer), there are influences traveling both forward and backward through time. Even though every influence propagates at the speed of light or slower, the combination of subluminal forward-in-time and backward-in-time signals can give rise to an effective FTL signal. So what's the deep reason that this doesn't happen?

At the level of the evolution of the wave function (or quantum field), it is easy enough to see that there are no FTL influences on that evolution, but in making the connection between the quantum state and observations requires going beyond the evolution equations (except possibly in the Many-Worlds Interpretation), and it's a little mysterious to me how things conspire so that these additional elements don't permit FTL communication.

stevendaryl said:
To me, there is something a little unsatisfying about a number of attempts to interpret the quantum predictions realistically (Bohm, transactional interpretation, superdeterminism, etc.) in light of the no-communication theorem. Although you can prove that it's impossible to communicate FTL using QM, in these various interpretations, this fact seems almost "accidentally" true. Bohm for instance, specifically has FTL influences, but these FTL influences happen to be impractical for communication. In the transactional interpretation (Cramer), there are influences traveling both forward and backward through time. Even though every influence propagates at the speed of light or slower, the combination of subluminal forward-in-time and backward-in-time signals can give rise to an effective FTL signal. So what's the deep reason that this doesn't happen?

At the level of the evolution of the wave function (or quantum field), it is easy enough to see that there are no FTL influences on that evolution, but in making the connection between the quantum state and observations requires going beyond the evolution equations (except possibly in the Many-Worlds Interpretation), and it's a little mysterious to me how things conspire so that these additional elements don't permit FTL communication.
There is no conspiracy, there is a simple general reason why hidden variables cannot be used for FTL communication. That's precisely because they are hidden, which implies that they cannot be controled. If we could control them, then we could choose to put them in one state or another as we wished, so we could encode some meaningful information in them. Then their FTL influence would not be merely a meaningless physical influence, but a meaningful communication.

This is like asking whether a thunderbolt lightning can be used for communication (with the velocity of light). As long as thunderbolt lightning behaves as a natural effectively random event, you cannot use it for communication. But if you find a way to control the thunderbolt lightning (Nikola Tesla comes to my mind in that context), then yes, you can use it for communication.

Of course, the thunderbolt lightning is not hidden. But the issue is whether it is controlable. Being not hidden is a necessary condition, but not a sufficient condition, for being controlable.

Demystifier said:
There is no conspiracy, there is a simple general reason why hidden variables cannot be used for FTL communication. That's precisely because they are hidden, which implies that they cannot be controled.

I understand that. An alternative form of the question "Why is FTL communication impossible?" is "Why must the hidden variables must remain hidden (or uncontrollable)?"

stevendaryl said:
I understand that. An alternative form of the question "Why is FTL communication impossible?" is "Why must the hidden variables must remain hidden (or uncontrollable)?"
They do not need to remain hidden forever. They are hidden at the current development of physics, but this may change in the future. For instance, atoms were hidden variables in 19th century (serving as a possible deeper explanation of chemistry and thermodynamics), but they are not hidden variables today.

What is the problem of superluminal communication in Non-local HVTs?

The problem of superluminal communication in Non-local HVTs refers to the issue of transmitting information faster than the speed of light in systems that operate on non-local hidden variable theories (HVTs). This violates the principles of special relativity and causality, which state that nothing can travel faster than the speed of light and that effects cannot precede their causes.

Why is superluminal communication in Non-local HVTs a concern for scientists?

Superluminal communication in Non-local HVTs is a concern for scientists because it challenges our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and has the potential to disrupt the fabric of space-time. It could also lead to paradoxes and inconsistencies in our understanding of causality and the nature of reality.

Can superluminal communication in Non-local HVTs be achieved?

According to current scientific knowledge, it is not possible to achieve superluminal communication in Non-local HVTs. The principles of special relativity and causality have been extensively tested and are considered to be fundamental laws of the universe. However, some scientists continue to explore the possibility and implications of superluminal communication in Non-local HVTs through theoretical and experimental research.

What are some proposed solutions to the problem of superluminal communication in Non-local HVTs?

One proposed solution is to modify the laws of special relativity to allow for superluminal communication. However, this would require significant changes to our current understanding of physics. Another solution is to find a way to detect and prevent any potential superluminal communication, to preserve the principles of causality and the speed of light as the ultimate speed limit.

How does the problem of superluminal communication in Non-local HVTs relate to quantum entanglement?

Quantum entanglement is a phenomenon in which two particles become connected in such a way that the state of one particle affects the state of the other, even at vast distances. This has been proposed as a potential way to achieve superluminal communication in Non-local HVTs. However, the issue of causality and the speed of light still apply, and there is currently no evidence to suggest that quantum entanglement can be used for superluminal communication.