Problem understanding the forces applied to a threaded fastner

In summary, the conversation is about the confusion surrounding the forces applied to a threaded fastener. The confusion is due to the diagram being for a 'Power Screw' which is raising or lowering a load, leading to the presence of 'mystery' forces. PR and PL correspond to the torque required to turn the screw and lift or lower the load. A PDF file providing a good reference on threads is also shared.
Amaelle
TL;DR Summary
Threaded fastner
Greeting I have a problem understanding the forces applied to a threaded fastner
1636383873013.png

I really don't understand from where they got Pr or PL because for me the only applied force is F
thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
The confusion is probably because the diagram isn't for a threaded fastener - it's for a 'Power Screw.' The screw is raising (or lowering) a load - that's where the 'mystery' forces come from.

• Informative
Likes Amaelle and berkeman
PR and PL correspond to the torque required to turn the screw (and lift or lower the load).

• Informative
Likes Amaelle
Dullard said:
The confusion is probably because the diagram isn't for a threaded fastener - it's for a 'Power Screw.' The screw is raising (or lowering) a load - that's where the 'mystery' forces come from.
thank you very much

Likes berkeman
onatirec said:
PR and PL correspond to the torque required to turn the screw (and lift or lower the load).
thank you I got it now!

@Amaelle
I just thought I would provide a good reference on threads. See attached .pdf file

Attachments

• MS-13-77.PDF
    702.9 KB · Views: 102
  • Love
Likes Amaelle
dlgoff said:
@Amaelle
I just thought I would provide a good reference on threads. See attached .pdf file
thanks a million!

Amaelle said:
thanks a million!
You're welcome. Hope it will be useful in your future.

• Love
Likes Amaelle

1. What is a threaded fastener?

A threaded fastener is a type of mechanical fastener that is used to join two or more objects together. It typically consists of a screw or bolt with threads that match with a corresponding nut or hole, allowing the two pieces to be securely fastened together.

2. What are the forces applied to a threaded fastener?

The forces applied to a threaded fastener can vary depending on the specific application, but they generally include tension, compression, shear, and torsion. These forces act on the fastener as it is tightened and can affect its strength and ability to hold the two pieces together.

3. How do I determine the correct size and type of threaded fastener to use?

The size and type of threaded fastener to use will depend on the specific application and the forces that will be applied to it. It is important to consider the material and thickness of the objects being joined, as well as the amount of force that will be applied. Consulting a fastener sizing chart or seeking the advice of a professional can help determine the appropriate size and type.

4. What is the difference between metric and standard threaded fasteners?

Metric and standard threaded fasteners differ in their measurement systems. Standard fasteners are measured in inches, while metric fasteners are measured in millimeters. They also have different thread profiles and sizes, so it is important to use the correct type for your specific application.

5. How can I ensure that a threaded fastener is properly tightened?

To ensure that a threaded fastener is properly tightened, it is important to use a torque wrench and follow the manufacturer's recommended torque specifications. This will ensure that the fastener is tightened to the appropriate level, preventing it from either being too loose or too tight, which can both lead to potential problems.