Problem with gmail and its filters

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Filters
In summary, the individual is experiencing a problem with Gmail where emails from a mailing list are being incorrectly labeled and categorized. Despite checking and recreating filters, the issue persists. They have been advised to seek help on the Gmail product forum.
fluidistic
Gold Member
I'm having a problem with gmail. I am subscribed to a mailing list (of Maxima software) and I've set that every time I receive an email from that mailing list, the email should appear under the label Maxima and nowhere else. However it also appears under the category "forums", even though I've never set those emails to appear there. I've rechecked my filters, deleted them and recreated them, to no avail. The problem remains and all emails from that mailing list appear in both "Maxima" label and "forums" category.
How can I fix this?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll post there.
The emails have only 1 label (Maxima as it should) but is also wrongly sent into the "Forums" category (which differs from a label if I understand well).

1. What are filters in Gmail and how do they work?

Filters in Gmail are tools that allow you to automatically organize your emails by applying certain criteria. They work by searching for specific keywords, sender’s email address, or other criteria, and then taking specific actions on the matching emails, such as archiving or labeling them.

2. Why are my emails not going into the correct folder even though I have set up filters?

There could be several reasons for this issue. Firstly, check if the filters are set up correctly and if the criteria match the emails you are receiving. Secondly, check if the emails are being forwarded from another email account, as filters do not work on forwarded emails. Lastly, check if the emails are being marked as important, as Gmail prioritizes important emails over filters.

3. Can I edit or delete filters in Gmail?

Yes, you can edit or delete filters in Gmail at any time. Simply go to the Settings menu, click on the "Filters and Blocked Addresses" tab, and make the necessary changes or delete the filter entirely. Keep in mind that deleting a filter will remove it permanently and cannot be undone.

4. How many filters can I have in Gmail?

Gmail allows you to have up to 20 filters at a time. If you need more than 20 filters, you can combine multiple criteria into one filter. However, it is recommended to keep the number of filters to a minimum for better organization and to avoid any issues with filtering.

5. Can I apply filters to emails that have already been received?

No, filters in Gmail only work on new emails that are received after the filter has been set up. It cannot be applied to emails that have already been received and are sitting in your inbox or other folders. To organize old emails, you can use the "Create filter" option and select the emails you want to apply the filter to.