Problem with importing an address book (.csv format) to yahoo.com

In summary, Alan tried to import his contacts from his old email account, Gmail, to his new Yahoo account, but it didn't work. He then found a different way to import the contacts, using the Gmail account as a starting point.
yungman
TL;DR Summary
Can't find instruction to import .csv file to yahoo email
Hi

I created a new yahoo.com email account to replace the old sbcglobal.net. I want to load the address contact from the sbcglobal.net to the yahoo.com. I have no issue creating the contact.csv from the sbcglobal.net and saved on the desktop already. My problem is I fail to import to the yahoo.com email.

I search through the web already, every single one said just said click the "contact" icon and click the 3dots as show in picture 1, then click "Import" to load the .csv file. Sounds simple enough. BUT there is NO provision to do that. It only has 4 import from email option as shown in picture 2. I tried the "Yahoo mail" option as ATT sbcglobal.net is just yahoo mail. It will ask you to login. I login the sbcglobal.net, instead of opening it, it will log me out of my yahoo.com ( the one I am trying to import the contact) and become sbcglobal.net. So that doesn't work. I try login with the yahoo.com, it will freeze up. So that option is not working. There is no other way to import the .csv that I already export from the sbcglobal.net.

Anyone can help?

Thanks

Alan

Attachments

• Email 1.JPG
    Email 1.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 232
  • Email 2.JPG
    Email 2.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 215
Computer science news on Phys.org
I checked with my father's Yahoo account; it's exactly as you say: I am given the same options that you have posted in the second picture. That is Yahoo's stupidity: why not allow importing contacts directly from a csv file?

On checking Gmail, I found that they are allowing you to import contacts by uploading a .csv file from your computer. So, the alternate route is:

1. Create a Gmail account.

2. Go to Contacts. In the left pane, scroll down to the option "Import". Click on it, select the file and complete the importing process.

3. Go to Yahoo and import the contacts from Gmail.

4. If Yahoo can import the contacts properly, delete your Gmail account. Otherwise, you may have to consider switching to Gmail.

Likes yungman
That was a good idea, I created a gmail account and actually imported the contact.csv successfully. I went to yahoo.com and try to import from gmail.com, it's been 40minutes and still said it's importing. But when I stop it and check the contact, looks like it's there. Looks like it's a success. I'll check whether it's complete.

Thanks

Likes Wrichik Basu
Yes, it's all done, I even deleted the gmail account already. Thanks.

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. Why can't I import my address book in .csv format to Yahoo.com?

There could be several reasons for this issue. One possible reason is that the .csv file is not properly formatted or contains errors. Another reason could be that Yahoo's server is experiencing technical difficulties. It is also possible that the .csv file is too large for Yahoo to handle.

2. How can I fix the issue of not being able to import my address book to Yahoo.com?

If the problem is with the .csv file, you can try reformatting it or using a different program to export the file. If the issue is with Yahoo's server, you will need to wait until the problem is resolved. You can also try splitting the .csv file into smaller chunks and importing them separately.

3. Is there a limit to the number of contacts I can import to Yahoo.com?

Yes, Yahoo has a limit of 2,000 contacts for importing an address book. If your .csv file contains more than 2,000 contacts, you will need to split it into smaller files and import them separately.

4. Can I import my address book from a different email provider to Yahoo.com?

Yes, you can import an address book from a different email provider as long as it is in a compatible format such as .csv or .vcf. You can also import contacts from social media platforms like Facebook and LinkedIn.

5. How can I ensure that all my contacts are successfully imported to Yahoo.com?

You can check the imported contacts by going to your Yahoo Mail contacts and verifying that all the contacts from your .csv file are present. If there are any missing contacts, you can try reformatting the .csv file or splitting it into smaller files and importing them separately.