Problem with learning online vs reading books

In summary: Oh, I just realized that my post had nothing to do with what you said. I think I was just trying to say that reading on a screen can be fatiguing, but I know nothing about the eye stuff.In summary, many people experience difficulty in reading on a screen compared to reading a physical book due to distractions, slower reading speed, and eye strain. This could be due to the lack of haptic feedback and the constant loading of new information on a screen. Some solutions could be using an ad blocker, seeking help at a library, or printing out the material. Additionally, screen glare can also contribute to eye strain and fatigue while reading on a screen.
christian0710
Hi, Do any of you ever experience this:

You are trying to learn somhing in a book (physics, math, chemistry) and the book does not explain it sufficiently. You then go to google and start searching for a better explanation. After searching for 5 minutes you finally find a okay explanation, but your reading speed is slower on the computer and it feels as if you forgot some of the things you werer erading because your mind had to deal with all the pup-ups, browsers and stuff on the screen?
In general i experience reading on the screen as much more fatigeing than on in a book and often just need to look away so my eyes don't dry out.

Just trying to figure out if I'm the only one with this problem or other peopel experience it too?

Physics news on Phys.org
christian0710 said:

You are trying to learn somhing in a book (physics, math, chemistry) and the book does not explain it sufficiently. You then go to google and start searching for a better explanation. After searching for 5 minutes you finally find a okay explanation, but your reading speed is slower on the computer and it feels as if you forgot some of the things you werer erading because your mind had to deal with all the pup-ups, browsers and stuff on the screen?
In general i experience reading on the screen as much more fatigeing than on in a book and often just need to look away so my eyes don't dry out.

Just trying to figure out if I'm the only one with this problem or other peopel experience it too?
Same thing happens to me.I can't read something on computer and its a really big problem.I can't take notes on computer screen.

christian0710 said:

If you are easily distracted by ads, and you are getting "pop-ups", you should try an ad blocker, and also make sure your computer isn't infected. I have no idea what you mean by "browser" as your browser is the service that allows you to view webpages (chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer), it's not something on the page that would distract you. It sounds like you are a candidate for a trip to your local library for help.

Agreed. I am having a much easier time with reading a physical book that I can hold in my hands than reading a e-book on any electronic device, be it a computer, a phone or anything.

Reveille said:
Agreed. I am having a much easier time with reading a physical book that I can hold in my hands than reading a e-book on any electronic device, be it a computer, a phone or anything.
I also prefer holding and reading a book. I bought a Kindle Fire HD a year and a half ago and have used it maybe a total of 5 times, and not at all this year. It's heavy, awkward, and I just really hate it.

I think I read faster on screen. From sometime now I use eye drops for moisturizing my eyes (prescribed by eye doctor). But I think I understand much better while reading book because of maybe slow speed while reading from real book.

christian0710 said:

It's not unusual. It's very difficult to get immersed in what you're reading when you don't have the haptic feedback of a book, when every new piece of content takes time to load (breaking up the flow of thought), and when you're given so much information at once. There is also some cognitive/learning theory stuff, what with the fact that most of us don't associate browsing the internet with studying, so it becomes harder to get into a productive studying mood.

When I'm trying to read a paper online, what helps me is to print it out so I can read it like a book.

From what I understand, reading a screen fatigues our eyes faster than reading a book because of the screen glare. Some programs are designed to reduce screen glare, and there are some devices that advertise the lack of screen glare (like certain Kindles), but there is always an element of glare to contend with. Paper isn't a reflective surface the way screens are, so it's not as fatiguing.

Another big problem are the numerous distractions.
I spend quite a bit of time gathering all my resources and extra info during me first pass-through of the text.
Next I print the parts I need and go somewhere without my laptop. For example to the park when its nice outside.

With the eye fatigue thing. Another issue is that I tend to scan texts when looking at a screen.
I might end up reading 1 in 3 sentences, possibly missing important information.
This can lead to a loss of time, for example an old thesis I was reading mentioned in the beginning of a section that the compactification would use a 4D space so going from 10D -> 6D. While I was checking the calculations nothing seemed right, until I read that specific line. It took me over an hour to realize what was going on.

I think It is difficult to read online, because you soon feel tired. I prefer paper book, it is very useful and beneficial!

Just read the book by Kevin Paul, Study Smarter, Not Harder from JAICO/Self-Counsel business series book.
If you are already an expert of a subject then I prefer to read soft copy of books. This way you get the realization that those books are available whenever you want for references in soft copy form.
I'm expert in power electronics, however as I'm shifting load to physics now I prefer to find some job in physics first so that I get the real pressure and sense of accomplishments while reading and then telling students about physics topics. Again I would prefer to read soft copy and save papers by not printing the book. Printed book is only better to me if I have it's soft copy as backup.
It does not mean that I don't print. Sometime to better understand an application note that is very important for a project I get it's print. I read that printed copy but still refer to it's soft copy when actually using it in near future. I avoid prints as much as I can.
The important thing is only try to read stuff that can be accessed anytime in future. As an example soft copy can be accessed any time and any place if you have it's backup.

Muti said:
From sometime now I use eye drops for moisturizing my eyes (prescribed by eye doctor).

Yes that is a good idea to consult doctor to keep eyes healthy

Something I haven't seen mentioned yet:

If you're having trouble understanding something and then head to the Internet for alternative explanations, you really need to be careful what resources you use. It's difficult to ascertain the credibility of an explanation when you're inexperienced in the subject.

Certain resources might be a quicker read than a textbook, but if you're given a poor (worst case: completely incorrect) explanation, then you've not only wasted time, but also might've picked up an understanding of the concept that will be difficult to unlearn in the future.

The benefit of math/science textbooks is that they've been reviewed and edited by people who know what they're talking about, rather than "Hotguy123" from Yahoo Answers.

Likes gleem

What are the advantages of learning online compared to reading books?

Online learning allows for more flexibility and convenience in terms of time and location. It also provides access to a wide range of resources and multimedia materials that can enhance the learning experience.

What are the disadvantages of learning online compared to reading books?

One of the main disadvantages of online learning is the lack of face-to-face interaction with instructors and other students. It also requires a strong level of self-motivation and discipline to stay on track with coursework.

Can online learning be just as effective as reading books?

Yes, online learning can be just as effective as reading books. It ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and preferences. Some may find online learning more engaging and interactive, while others may prefer the traditional method of reading books.

Are there any specific subjects or topics that are better suited for online learning compared to reading books?

Online learning is better suited for subjects that require hands-on learning or access to online resources, such as computer programming or graphic design. However, reading books may be more effective for subjects that require in-depth reading and critical thinking, such as literature or philosophy.

What are some tips for balancing online learning and reading books?

It's important to create a schedule and stick to it, allowing for dedicated time for both online learning and reading. It's also helpful to take breaks and switch between the two methods to prevent burnout. Additionally, utilizing note-taking and study techniques can aid in retaining information from both online learning and reading books.