What are your preferred methods of learning?

• Thread starter bigmike94
  • Start date
In summary, what has helped you the most learning new concepts is to have worked examples and practice.
bigmike94
TL;DR Summary: What has helped you the most learning new concepts

I recently came across this article

https://openlearning.mit.edu/mit-faculty/research-based-learning-findings/worked-and-faded-examples

I have studied 2 ways, one was using similar to the method above, theory followed but loads of worked examples and solutions, until I felt comfortable solving most problems about that topic.

The other method, which I have been using recently, is to read and study the material only solving the examples given in the text and not do any of the problems or study the solutions. (In the hope that this would be quicker meaning i can read more books about the same topic)

I’ll be honest the latter doesn’t seem to be serving me much when it comes to solving the problems, I reckon that article is absolutely bang on and to say MIT uses the same way to teach says a lot.

What are your experiences?

With books such as Schaums outlines and websites such as clegg and quizlet there is no shortage of quality worked out examples.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can know everything about classical mechanics and how a bike works but without actually practicing you can’t just pick up a bike and make it work. Sure, you may be able to understand what happened when you failed and correct it more easily than if you did not have the theory background, but to ride a bike you must practice riding a bike.

Likes vanhees71, vela and bigmike94
bigmike94,
Your way of understanding is the better way. Also one should not ignore DAILY study and practice.

Likes vanhees71, bigmike94 and apostolosdt
To paraphrase Feynman: "You can't solve the problems? You don't know nothing!"

• Haha
Likes malawi_glenn and bigmike94
It's one of many strategies. The important part of them all is that they encourage learners to think about the processes they are going through to solve problems. It forces learners to make a map of their mental processes.

Likes vela and bigmike94
Physical principles are very often presented in their most obvious forms and laid bare for you to more easily understand them without any distractions. The real world rarely ever presents itself to you in this obvious form. In the real world, these principles are dressed in various disguises and so one must be able to see the principles through these disguises.

The lever is a simple machine easily understood but can you identify all the levers in a car?

The only way to become proficient is to practice on a variety of situations that use these principles.

Likes Astronuc and bigmike94

1. What are the most effective methods of learning?

The most effective methods of learning vary from person to person, but some commonly used methods include hands-on learning, visual aids, and interactive activities. It is important to find the method that works best for you and stick to it.

2. How do you determine your preferred method of learning?

Determining your preferred method of learning can be done through trial and error, self-reflection, and seeking feedback from others. It is helpful to try out different methods and observe how well you retain and understand information.

3. Are there any methods of learning that are more efficient than others?

Efficiency in learning depends on the individual and the subject matter. For some, reading and taking notes may be the most efficient method, while for others, group discussions or hands-on activities may be more effective. It is important to find what works best for you.

4. Can you combine different methods of learning?

Yes, it is possible and often beneficial to combine different methods of learning. For example, you can listen to a lecture while taking notes, or use visual aids while participating in a hands-on activity. Combining methods can help reinforce learning and cater to different learning styles.

5. How can you improve your learning methods?

To improve your learning methods, you can try new techniques, seek feedback from others, and continuously reflect on your learning process. It is also important to set goals and stay motivated. Remember that learning is a lifelong process and it is important to continuously adapt and improve your methods.