Problem studying the convergence of a series

In summary, the text explains that if you take the Taylor expansion of sin, which diverges, you need to use either the complete series or investigate absolute convergence.
Amaelle
Homework Statement
Convergence of a serie (look at the image)
Relevant Equations
absolute convergence, taylor expnasion, asymptotic behaviour!
Good day
here is the exercice
1612086383866.png

and here is the solution that I understand very well
1612086450657.png

but I have a confusion I hope someone can explain me
if I take the taylor expansion of sin ((n^2+n+1/(n+1))*pi)≈n^2+n+1/(n+1))*pi≈n*pi which diverge!
I know something is wrong in my logic please help me

many thanks in advance!
best regards!

Physics news on Phys.org
Amaelle said:
Homework Statement:: Convergence of a serie (look at the image)
Relevant Equations:: absolute convergence, taylor expnasion, asymptotic behaviour!

if I take the taylor expansion of sin ((n^2+n+1/(n+1))*pi)≈n^2+n+1/(n+1))*pi≈n*pi which diverge!
This is what you get by a quick, but wrong look at it. To cut off all the rest of the Taylor series gives you a false impression. With this method you either have to use the complete series or investigate merely absolute convergence, in which case you need the triangle inequality.

Anyway, the point is, that a) ##\sin(x)\approx x## only holds for ##x\ll 1## and b) that we actually have ##\sin(f(n)\cdot \pi )## with ##f(n)=\dfrac{n^2+n+1}{n+1}## which itself converges to ##n\pi## and ##\sin(n\pi)=0##.

Hence we add numbers which are close to zero. We know from ##\sum \dfrac{1}{n} \to \infty ##, ##\sum \dfrac{1}{n^2} \to \pi^2/6 ##, and ##\sum (-1)^n\dfrac{1}{n} \to -\log(2)## that in such cases we have to have a close look on "how close to zero". This means that we must keep equality as long as possible before we can start to simplify by Taylor or other means. That is where the addition theorem comes into play.

It is generally a good advice for any calculation: Stay accurate as long as possible and turn to estimations and approximations at the very last.

• Love
Likes Amaelle
Amaelle said:
Homework Statement:: Convergence of a serie (look at the image)
Relevant Equations:: absolute convergence, taylor expnasion, asymptotic behaviour!

You seem to take only first order of Taylor expansion. It is no good because
[tex]\frac{n^2+n+1}{n+1}=n+\frac{1}{n+1}>1[/tex]
We should remove ##n## to apply Taylor series properly as the text does.

• Love
Likes Amaelle
fresh_42 said:
This is what you get by a quick, but wrong look at it. To cut off all the rest of the Taylor series gives you a false impression. With this method you either have to use the complete series or investigate merely absolute convergence, in which case you need the triangle inequality.

Anyway, the point is, that a) ##\sin(x)\approx x## only holds for ##x\ll 1## and b) that we actually have ##\sin(f(n)\cdot \pi )## with ##f(n)=\dfrac{n^2+n+1}{n+1}## which itself converges to ##n\pi## and ##\sin(n\pi)=0##.

Hence we add numbers which are close to zero. We know from ##\sum \dfrac{1}{n} \to \infty ##, ##\sum \dfrac{1}{n^2} \to \pi^2/6 ##, and ##\sum (-1)^n\dfrac{1}{n} \to -\log(2)## that in such cases we have to have a close look on "how close to zero". This means that we must keep equality as long as possible before we can start to simplify by Taylor or other means. That is where the addition theorem comes into play.

It is generally a good advice for any calculation: Stay accurate as long as possible and turn to estimations and approximations at the very last.
thanks a million it's clear now!

anuttarasammyak said:
You seem to take only first order of Taylor expansion. It is no good because
[tex]\frac{n^2+n+1}{n+1}=n+\frac{1}{n+1}>1[/tex]
We should remove ##n## to apply Taylor series properly as the text does.
thanks a million for this nice shot!

1. What is the definition of convergence of a series?

The convergence of a series is a mathematical concept that refers to the behavior of a sequence of numbers as the number of terms in the sequence increases. A series is said to converge if the terms in the sequence approach a finite limit as the number of terms increases.

2. How do you test for convergence of a series?

There are several tests that can be used to determine the convergence of a series, including the ratio test, the root test, and the comparison test. These tests involve examining the behavior of the terms in the series and determining if they approach a finite limit or diverge to infinity.

3. What is the significance of studying the convergence of a series?

Studying the convergence of a series is important in mathematics because it allows us to determine if a series is well-behaved and has a finite sum. This information is useful in various applications, such as in calculus, where the convergence of a series can help us find the area under a curve.

4. Can a series converge to more than one limit?

No, a series can only converge to one limit. If a series has more than one limit, it is said to be divergent and does not have a finite sum.

5. What is the difference between absolute and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series where the terms are all positive or all negative, and the series converges to a finite limit. Conditional convergence refers to a series where the terms alternate between positive and negative, and the series converges to a finite limit only if the terms are arranged in a specific order.