Apps having access to Android Camera

In summary: I don't like that the app is allowed to send me notifications even when I'm not using it.In summary, you should check to see if any Android apps have access to your camera and disable those that don't need it.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Should any Android apps be given access to its( Android) camera? Re a blackmailing email I recently received, I want to cover as many security angles as possible. So I recently checked the list of apps in my Android that have access to my camera. There were a few, WhatsApp and Google being reasonable ones. Messages too had access. I don't see why it should. Should it?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Well folks do send photos in their messages so I guess thats a yes.

Likes WWGD
Its good to review your apps periodically and remove one you seldom use and also suspicious ones.

Likes WWGD
Are you worried about access to the camera or to the photos?
If you don't do any video calls, I don't know why any app other than the camera app needs access to the camera. It might allow an app to take photos or videos that you are not aware of.
Access to photos that you have already taken is a different thing.

Likes WWGD
FactChecker said:
It might allow an app to take photos or videos that you are not aware of.
With the newer Android versions, that's not really possible. Your app has to be in the foreground to use the camera. When sensitive components like camera or microphone are in use, Android shows a green dot in the top right corner of the screen. Services can be made to use camera, but it's not stable and highly prone to be shut down by the system.

• Informative
Likes WWGD and FactChecker
Wrichik Basu said:
When sensitive components like camera or microphone are in use, Android shows a green dot in the top right corner of the screen.
Ah, I've been wondering what that green LED dot meant. Thanks! :smile:

Likes Wrichik Basu
There's also a diff between "need" and "want". In a lot of cases, you can simply deny the app access to the function and see what happens.
It may
  • be just fine,
  • complain and disable certain features,
  • ask to enable the features when it needs them,
  • just refuse to function.

Likes WWGD and FactChecker
DaveC426913 said:
There's also a diff between "need" and "want". In a lot of cases, you can simply deny the app access to the function and see what happens.
It may
  • be just fine,
  • complain and disable certain features,
  • ask to enable the features when it needs them,
  • just refuse to function.
Yeah, Android 6+ requires devs to ask for runtime permissions. According to Play Store's guidelines, if a permission is denied, an app should simply disable the feature that depends on that permission (unless it's a core feature) and not nag the user continuously over the refused permission.

Likes WWGD
Wrichik Basu said:
Yeah, Android 6+ requires devs to ask for runtime permissions. According to Play Store's guidelines, if a permission is denied, an app should simply disable the feature that depends on that permission (unless it's a core feature) and not nag the user continuously over the refused permission.
I have my Step Tracking App sending me notifications to the effect I haven't taken enough steps. I will block it . Seems permission to notify me existed by default.

WWGD said:
I have my Step Tracking App sending me notifications to the effect I haven't taken enough steps. I will block it . Seems permission to notify me existed by default.
Permission for an app to send notifications is an entirely different subject.

Likes Wrichik Basu
FactChecker said:
Yes. OMG. What an annoying feature.

FactChecker said:
Yes, I was addressing notifications in general.

1. What permissions are necessary for apps to access the Android camera?

In order for an app to access the Android camera, it must have the CAMERA permission. This is a dangerous permission, meaning that users must explicitly grant it to the app.

2. Can apps access the Android camera without permission?

No, apps cannot access the Android camera without permission from the user. This is a security measure put in place to protect user privacy.

3. How can I see which apps have access to my Android camera?

To see which apps have access to your Android camera, go to your device's Settings, then select Apps & Notifications. From there, select App Permissions and then Camera. You will see a list of apps that have been granted permission to use your camera.

4. Can apps use my Android camera without my knowledge?

No, apps cannot use your Android camera without your knowledge. Whenever an app requests permission to use your camera, you will receive a notification. Additionally, you can always check which apps have access to your camera through your device's settings.

5. How do I revoke camera access for an app on my Android device?

To revoke camera access for an app on your Android device, go to your device's Settings, then select Apps & Notifications. From there, select App Permissions and then Camera. Find the app you want to revoke access for and toggle off the permission. You can also do this by going to the app's settings within the app itself.