Produce a resonance curve for this circuit between 6 kHz and 10 kHz

leejohnson222
Homework Statement
circuit is as follows
Relevant Equations
series circuit
Voltage 20V 5khz - R10 ohms Inductor 1.5mh Capacitor = 270 nF
this is what i created so far, but not quite sure how to get the resonance curve, i tried to enter it in settings and do an AC sweep
Screenshot 2023-10-04 at 11.35.04.png
6k 10k resonance.png

Physics news on Phys.org
What voltage are you measuring? Where is the ground node?

20V 5khz, should i be looking at the current ?
Resonant 1.png
resonant sweep 1.png

I don't know what you are supposed to do. Your supposed to tell us.

But, that looks good to me. Except somethings wrong with the magnitude scale. At resonance the current should be ##I = V1/R1##. This is because at resonance the complex impedances of the reactive components will cancel each other and sum to zero. Does your voltage source have any impedance built in?

The phase looks good though, so it's something about the plot scale, I think.

edit: Oops! No sorry. There is something wrong with the magnitude. With Q=7.5 you should have more peaking at resonance. The asymptotes should intersect about 7.5x lower than the current peak at resonance.

edit#2: Never mind the peaking bit. I misread the plot. I'm more familiar with a log(f) scale which will show the linear asymptotes more clearly.

Last edited:
The same circuit as simulated by LTSPICE. The magnitude, in dB, is of the current in the series circuit.
1696449917732.png

1696449932010.png

Likes DaveE
I would imagine plotting magnitude of impedance Z would be a valuable learning experience :) what does L and C do at the resonant frequency, and impedance should you see when that happens?

If you had time and wanted to explore, then I would put another pair of these in parallel to it with a different set of LRC something like 500 uH, 100 Ohm, and... 561 nF just to see what happens. I think that would be fun.

i think i need to download LT spice and try to run some circuits, been struggling to install it for some reason

LT Spice is quite good and, I would guess, the most popular on-line Spice tool. But Spice has been around for a really long time, and for basic circuits like this they are all going to give you a good answer. Whatever that green one you used in previous posts is probably fine for this. So, go for it, if you like, but don't expect that a different simulator is going to clear anything up.

Honestly, most EEs that I know learned this stuff from a physics or EE text book, not a simulator. Simulators are good at giving answers, but are usually not good for teaching concepts.

Likes berkeman

1. What is a resonance curve?

A resonance curve is a graphical representation of the resonance frequency of a circuit, which is the frequency at which the circuit has the highest amplitude response. It shows the relationship between the frequency and the amplitude of the circuit.

2. How is a resonance curve produced?

A resonance curve is produced by plotting the amplitude of the circuit against a range of frequencies. This is typically done by varying the frequency of the input signal and measuring the corresponding amplitude response of the circuit.

3. What is the significance of the frequency range of 6 kHz to 10 kHz?

The frequency range of 6 kHz to 10 kHz is significant because it is the range in which the circuit is expected to exhibit resonance. This range is often chosen because it is within the audible frequency range and is commonly used in audio and radio applications.

4. How does the shape of a resonance curve vary?

The shape of a resonance curve can vary depending on the characteristics of the circuit. In general, a resonance curve will have a peak at the resonance frequency, and the amplitude will decrease as the frequency moves away from the resonance frequency.

5. What information can be obtained from a resonance curve?

A resonance curve provides information about the resonance frequency, bandwidth, and quality factor of a circuit. It can also indicate the amplitude response of the circuit at different frequencies and can be used to determine the circuit's resonance frequency for different input signals.