Product of two Kronecker delta symbols as a determinant

In summary, the equation above can be verified by showing that both sides vanish if any two of the indices are equal. It is also sufficient to check the identity for just one particular choice of indices, such as 1, 2, and 3. This follows from the antisymmetry of both sides.
brotherbobby
Homework Statement
The books says that "it is fairly easy" to verify the following product of two kronecker delta symbols : ##\epsilon_{ijk} \epsilon_{pqr} = \begin{vmatrix} \delta_{ip} & \delta_{iq} & \delta_{ir} \\ \delta_{jp} & \delta_{jq} & \delta_{jr} \\ \delta_{kp} & \delta_{kq} & \delta_{kr} \\ \end{vmatrix}##
Relevant Equations
We know the definition of the krokecker alternating symbol. Here all variables can only take values between 1 and 3. If any of the indices repeat, the value of the symbol is 0. If the indices alternate, the symbol takes on a minus sign.
I don't have a clue as to how to go about proving (or verifying) the equation above. It would be very hard to take individual values of i,j and k and p,q and r for each side and evaluate ##3^6## times! More than that, I'd like a proof more than a verification.

Any help would be welcome.

Physics news on Phys.org
Both sides vanish if any two of ##i,j,k## or any two of ##p,q,r## are equal (the LHS is zero since a LC symbol with repeated index is zero, and the RHS is zero because two columns or two rows will be equal).

So we're in the case that ##i,j,k## and ##p,q,r## are pairwise distinct. Since both sides are anti-symmetric under changing two indices from either set, it's enough to check that your identity is true for just one particular choice of indices, say ##i=1, j=2, k=3## and ##p=1,q=2, r=3.## You should think about why this is sufficient if it's not obvious at first.

You can probably also expand the determinant, but I find this way of thinking to be simpler.

You should think about why this is sufficient if it's not obvious at first.

I have got your answer mostly, except your quote above. It is not obvious to me as to why should the values of ##i, j \,\text{and}\, k## and those of ##p,q\, \text{and}\, r## be those as you said : 1, 2 and 3. Why not 2, 3 and 1, respectively, for example?

It follows from the antisymmetry of both sides. Changing ##(i,j,k)=(1,2,3)\to (2,1,3)\to (2,3,1)## changes both ##\varepsilon_{ijk}\varepsilon_{pqr}## and your determinant by a factor of ##-1## twice, and hence leaves them unchanged.

1. What is the product of two Kronecker delta symbols as a determinant?

The product of two Kronecker delta symbols as a determinant is a mathematical expression that represents the product of two Kronecker delta symbols, which are special symbols used in linear algebra to represent the identity matrix. It is written as a determinant with two Kronecker delta symbols as its entries, and it evaluates to 1 if the two indices of the Kronecker delta symbols are equal, and 0 if they are not equal.

2. What is the significance of the product of two Kronecker delta symbols as a determinant?

The product of two Kronecker delta symbols as a determinant is significant because it is a key component in many mathematical equations and proofs, particularly in linear algebra and matrix theory. It is often used to simplify calculations and to represent important relationships between variables.

3. How is the product of two Kronecker delta symbols as a determinant calculated?

To calculate the product of two Kronecker delta symbols as a determinant, you first need to determine the values of the two indices of the Kronecker delta symbols. If the indices are equal, the determinant evaluates to 1. If the indices are not equal, the determinant evaluates to 0. This value is then used as the entry in the determinant, and the determinant is evaluated using standard determinant rules.

4. Can the product of two Kronecker delta symbols as a determinant be simplified?

Yes, the product of two Kronecker delta symbols as a determinant can be simplified in certain cases. If the two indices of the Kronecker delta symbols are not equal, the determinant evaluates to 0, and therefore the entire expression simplifies to 0. Additionally, if the two indices are equal, the determinant evaluates to 1, and the expression simplifies to just one Kronecker delta symbol.

5. In what situations is the product of two Kronecker delta symbols as a determinant commonly used?

The product of two Kronecker delta symbols as a determinant is commonly used in linear algebra and matrix theory, particularly in equations involving the identity matrix. It is also used in proofs and calculations involving matrices, vectors, and tensors. Additionally, it is often used in physics and engineering applications, such as in the representation of physical laws and equations.