Product Second Moment of Area Ixy - Help

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in calculating the first term of the equation Ixy = Ixy g + AXY, which is used to determine the stress at a point for a non-symmetrical T-shaped beam. The formula requires the values of X bar, Y bar, and area, but the contributor is unsure how to calculate the term Ixy g, which represents the centrifugal moment of area through the centroid axis. Another contributor suggests using Steiner's rule to calculate it.
Quadrophenia
hi, I've been tryign to work out the stress at a point for a T X-section area of a beam. However, the T-shape IS NOT symmetrical.
The general formula is Ixy = Ixy g + AXY (X = X bar and Y = Y bar)
I have X bar and Y bar and Area of course too.
i Dont know how to calculate the first term of this equation which is the Ixy g bit.
Could someone please help. this is driving me nuts. :cry:

Engineering news on Phys.org
What does "g" represent? I assume Ixy g meant the centrifugal moment of area through the centroid axis? I don't know why it wouldn't work. Apply Steiner's rule (the one you wrote down) a few times, and you should be able to calculate it.

Hello, I understand your frustration with trying to calculate the second moment of area, specifically the Ixy term, for a non-symmetrical T-section beam. This can definitely be a challenging task, but with the right approach and some patience, it can be solved.

First, let's break down the formula for Ixy that you mentioned. The first term, Ixy g, represents the moment of inertia about the centroidal axis of the section. This can be calculated using the parallel axis theorem, which states that the moment of inertia about any axis parallel to the centroidal axis is equal to the moment of inertia about the centroidal axis plus the product of the area and the square of the distance between the two axes. In this case, the centroidal axis will be the axis passing through the centroid of the T-section, and the parallel axis will be the axis passing through the point you are trying to calculate the stress at.

The second term, AXY, represents the product of the area and the distance between the centroidal axes in the x and y directions. This can be calculated by multiplying the area of the T-section by the distances between the centroid of the section and the centroidal axes in the x and y directions.

Now, to calculate the first term, Ixy g, you will need to determine the moment of inertia about the centroidal axis of the T-section. This can be done by dividing the T-section into simpler shapes, such as rectangles and triangles, and calculating their individual moments of inertia. Then, you can use the parallel axis theorem to calculate the moment of inertia about the centroidal axis of the T-section.

I understand that this may seem like a lot of steps, but with some practice and understanding of the parallel axis theorem, you will be able to solve for Ixy g and successfully calculate the stress at the desired point. I suggest looking up examples and tutorials online to help guide you through the process. Don't get discouraged, just keep practicing and you will get the hang of it. Best of luck!

Related to Product Second Moment of Area Ixy - Help

1. What is the product second moment of area Ixy?

The product second moment of area Ixy is a mathematical concept used in engineering and physics to describe the distribution of mass or area around an axis. It is also known as the product of inertia or the second moment of inertia.

2. How is the product second moment of area Ixy calculated?

The product second moment of area Ixy is calculated by multiplying the area or mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. This calculation is often used in the design and analysis of structures and machines.

3. What is the significance of the product second moment of area Ixy in engineering?

The product second moment of area Ixy is an important parameter in engineering as it helps to determine the resistance of a structure to bending, torsion, and other types of stress. It is also useful in predicting the deflection and stability of a structure under load.

4. How does the product second moment of area Ixy differ from the moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia describes the distribution of mass or area around a single axis, while the product second moment of area Ixy takes into account the distribution around two perpendicular axes. The product second moment of area Ixy is often used in more complex structures where bending occurs in multiple directions.

5. Can the product second moment of area Ixy be negative?

Yes, the product second moment of area Ixy can be negative, which indicates that the object has an uneven distribution of mass or area around the axes. This can lead to unstable or unpredictable behavior under stress and is an important consideration in engineering design.