Programming a TI-83 for 1st Research Project

In summary, this person is a freshman and is struggling to find information on programming the TI-83 for a research assignment. They have spoken with their Algebra professor and learned that most people are using MatLab and Mathematica. They are not particularly concerned with getting published just yet, but would like to get their "feet wet" with some research. They are having trouble finding information on programming the TI-83 and are looking for help.
sydneyfranke
I'm not even sure if this is the right section to post this in, but here it goes . . .

I'm a freshman and I've just taken on my first research project. We only have like 2 professors at my college that are doing any research so I'm taking whatever I can get. I'm like 5 years out of school so I'm starting with just College Algebra to make sure I haven't forgotten how to add.

Anyways, that was just for a little background on me . . . My assignment is dealing with programming a TI-83 to do the recursive relation. Basically the chaos theory . . . I'm not at all familiar with this, but have already learned a lot by self teaching . . . My problem is I'm having a lot of trouble finding information on programming the TI-83. I'm sure I can figure it out, I just don't know where to go to learn to do such a thing. I'm sure there are a million students who have done this before, but I don't want their answer, I would rather find out how to do it myself.

I have spoken with my Algebra professor about my assignment and she mentioned that programming TI-83's is kind of old news and that most people are paying attention to programming with MatLab and Mathematica. I'm not really too concerned with getting published just yet, but I would like to get my "feet wet" with some research to see what it's like. So far, it's just frustrating. But I expect that.

Anyways, if someone could just point me in the right direction, I would be grateful. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
sydneyfranke said:
My problem is I'm having a lot of trouble finding information on programming the TI-83.
TI-83 programming tutorial? Basically, this is the sort of project that involves a lot of google. See how people implement similar problems/solutions in other languages (I vote for MATLAB and python for simplicity, basic for its similarity to the TI language), and think about how to port back to your language/specific problem.

Last edited:
It would be a lot easier to pick up MatLab's programming syntax and write whatever in that.

And if you need any information on chaos I'd suggest starting out with an upper level mechanics book -- they usually cover the topic as an overview with a lot of physical insight which can be helpful when thinking about chaotic systems.

Feldoh said:
And if you need any information on chaos I'd suggest starting out with an upper level mechanics book -- they usually cover the topic as an overview with a lot of physical insight which can be helpful when thinking about chaotic systems.

Thanks! By this you mean like mechanical engineering books or "mechanic" mechanic books? Like work-on-cars mechanic? I didn't know they made upper level books for such a thing . . . I'm not sure if my school's library has anything like that, but I'll give it a shot.

And thanks for the website link. I love/hate how the answers are sometimes right there. All this seems a little confusing to me now, but I'm sure once I get used to looking @ code, it will start to make sense.

sydneyfranke said:
By this you mean like mechanical engineering books or "mechanic" mechanic books?
He means physics mechanics (Newtonian mechanics), which is the theoretical form of ME mechanics. It's the type of physics usually introduced in a physics101 course.

Okay . . . thanks so much! The only introductory Physics class that I have here is geared towards medical physics that I learned would not credit towards an Engineering degree (big nursing college). When I transfer I'm sure a lot more of this will make sense.

1. How do I get started with programming a TI-83 calculator?

To get started, you will first need to download the TI-83 programming software onto your computer. Then, connect your calculator to your computer using a USB cable and follow the steps outlined in the software to begin programming.

2. What programming languages can I use for a TI-83 calculator?

The TI-83 calculator uses its own programming language called TI-BASIC. It is similar to other programming languages, such as BASIC and Pascal, but has its own unique syntax and functions.

3. Can I use my TI-83 calculator for data analysis in my research project?

Yes, the TI-83 calculator has built-in statistical functions that can be useful for data analysis in research projects. Additionally, you can also program your own functions specific to your research needs.

4. Are there any limitations to programming a TI-83 calculator?

While the TI-83 calculator is a powerful tool for programming and data analysis, it does have limitations compared to more advanced programming languages and software. It has limited memory and processing power, so complex programs may not run efficiently.

5. Are there any resources available for learning how to program a TI-83 calculator?

Yes, there are many online tutorials and guides available for programming a TI-83 calculator. You can also refer to the TI-83 user manual for more information on its programming capabilities and syntax.