Project: Wireless Mouse or Keyboard

In summary, these are the basics you'll need to know in order to build a RF wireless mouse or keyboard: -Knowledge of mouse and keyboard protocol (through USB)- RF knowledge which will include circuit antenna design, network matching, modulation and demodulation techniques. (Let me say that this is only necessary if you're doing it from scratch. You could always use an XBee wireless transmitter/receiver set)- Microcontroller programming to handle changes in the mouse and keyboard routines to send over the RF.
avro1on1
Hi all,
I was thinking of making an RF wireless mouse or keyboard. Can anyone help me in getting started? What re the concepts that i might need for this?
Since this is a basic level project, the specifications are highly flexible.
All help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Well this is no simple task. There are a few topics you'll need to learn (at the very least)

1) Mouse and Keyboard protocols (through USB)

2) RF Knowledge which will include circuit antenna design, network matching, modulation and demodulation techniques. (Let me say that this is only necessary if you're doing it from scratch. You could always use an XBee wireless transmitter/receiver set)

3) Microcontroller programming to handle changes in the mouse and keyboard routines to send over the RF.

These are basic things. You'll have to develop the algorithm and system overview. Good luck

------------
Justin
TheModernEngineer.blogspot.com

avro1on1 said:
Hi all,
I was thinking of making an RF wireless mouse or keyboard. Can anyone help me in getting started? What re the concepts that i might need for this?
Since this is a basic level project, the specifications are highly flexible.
All help will be highly appreciated.
Thanks.

I'd recommend starting with an available chipset and protocol, and then later building it again with more discretes if you want to learn more. Check out the Cypress Wireless USB (WUSB) chipsets and tools. That should get you going pretty quickly. Fun project.

You'd have a much easier time starting with a AT or PS/2 keyboard or mouse than a USB one. USB host (the computer end of a USB connection, needed to talk to a USB keyboard or mouse) is very non-trivial. PS/2 is far simpler, and there's lots of information out there about hooking PS/2 devices up to microcontrollers. Also note that many devices are dual-mode, and will activate a PS/2 interface if hooked up right. "USB to PS/2 adapters" are often just plugs wired up such that these devices can tell what sort of interface they're plugged into.

http://www.atmel.com/dyn/resources/prod_documents/doc1235.pdf

On the other end, you can work out how to talk PS/2 to the computer, or use one of the many USB slave interface ICs. In-between, you can then use any sort of RF transceiver...and as berkeman mentioned, some devices combine USB interfaces and RF transceivers, which reduces your selection a bit but might simplify things.

You might be better off using a Bluetooth transceiver, which would let you use a commercial Bluetooth device for the computer side...hook a PS/2 keyboard and a Bluetooth module up to a microcontroller, and you're there.

http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/categories.php?c=115

Thanks a LOT guys...
the project i have decided on seems to be pretty complicated as of now... :uhh: i guess i will defer it till next semester...
for now i'll probably do something a little easier on the programming...
bu thanks a lot anyway! ur help was REALLY appreciated... :smile:

1. What is a wireless mouse or keyboard?

A wireless mouse or keyboard is a computer peripheral that uses wireless technology to communicate with the computer. This means that there are no physical cables connecting the mouse or keyboard to the computer, allowing for greater flexibility and convenience.

2. How does a wireless mouse or keyboard work?

A wireless mouse or keyboard works by using radio frequency or Bluetooth technology to send signals from the device to a receiver connected to the computer. The receiver then translates these signals into movements or keystrokes that the computer can understand.

3. What are the benefits of using a wireless mouse or keyboard?

The main benefit of using a wireless mouse or keyboard is flexibility and convenience. Without the restriction of cables, you can use the mouse or keyboard from a distance, making it easier to use in different settings. Additionally, wireless devices are often more compact and portable.

4. How do I connect a wireless mouse or keyboard to my computer?

To connect a wireless mouse or keyboard to your computer, you will need to insert the receiver into an available USB port on your computer. Then, turn on the device and make sure it is in pairing mode. Finally, follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer to complete the pairing process.

5. Are there any downsides to using a wireless mouse or keyboard?

One potential downside of using a wireless mouse or keyboard is the need to regularly replace or recharge batteries. Additionally, wireless devices may experience interference from other electronic devices, which can affect their performance. However, these downsides are typically minimal and do not outweigh the convenience of a wireless device.