Projectile Escape Trajectory: Solving for Earth's Radius at Maximum Height

In summary, a projectile shot away from Earth's surface with an initial speed of 0.225 times the escape speed and an initial kinetic energy of 0.225 times the energy required to escape will reach a radial distance from Earth's center that is a multiple of Earth's radius. By setting the initial and final energies equal and solving for the radial distance, we can determine this multiple.
popo902

Homework Statement

A projectile is shot directly away from Earth's surface. Neglect the rotation of the Earth. What multiple of Earth's radius RE gives the radial distance (from the Earth's center) the projectile reaches if (a) its initial speed is 0.225 of the escape speed from Earth and (b) its initial kinetic energy is 0.225 of the kinetic energy required to escape Earth? (Give your answers as unitless numbers.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so i have no idea what to do now
i found the escape speed of earth
but what now?
If i had to guess i'd multiply.225 to my KE and the Escape V

so i'd end up with this energy equation
-GMm/R + 1/2m(.225)v^2 = 0
then cancel small m
so

-GM/R + 1/2(.225)V^2 = 0
then solve for...R?
is that right? or am i not on track?

Physics news on Phys.org
popo902 said:

Homework Statement

A projectile is shot directly away from Earth's surface. Neglect the rotation of the Earth. What multiple of Earth's radius RE gives the radial distance (from the Earth's center) the projectile reaches if (a) its initial speed is 0.225 of the escape speed from Earth and (b) its initial kinetic energy is 0.225 of the kinetic energy required to escape Earth? (Give your answers as unitless numbers.)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

ok so i have no idea what to do now
i found the escape speed of earth
but what now?
If i had to guess i'd multiply.225 to my KE and the Escape V

so i'd end up with this energy equation
-GMm/R + 1/2m(.225)v^2 = 0
then cancel small m
so

-GM/R + 1/2(.225)V^2 = 0
then solve for...R?
is that right? or am i not on track?

So [tex] E_i = \frac{-GMm}{R} + \frac{1}{2}mv_{0}^2 [/tex]

[tex] v_{esc} = [\frac{2GM}{R}]^{1/2} \rightarrow v_0 = (0.225)[\frac{2GM}{R}]^{1/2}[/tex]

[tex] E_i = \frac{-GMm}{R} + \frac{1}{2}m[\frac{2GM}{R}(0.051)] [/tex]

When at its max height, V = 0 so

[tex] E_f = \frac{-GMm}{r} [/tex]

Set equal and use algebra to solve for r.

Last edited:

Related to Projectile Escape Trajectory: Solving for Earth's Radius at Maximum Height

What is escape speed and distance?

Escape speed and distance refer to the minimum speed and distance required for an object to escape the gravitational pull of a larger object, such as a planet or a star.

How is escape speed and distance calculated?

Escape speed and distance are calculated using the formula v = √(2GM/r), where v is the escape velocity, G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object, and r is the distance between the two objects.

What factors affect escape speed and distance?

The factors that affect escape speed and distance include the mass of the larger object, the distance between the two objects, and the gravitational constant. The escape speed and distance increase as the mass of the larger object or the distance between the two objects increases, and decrease as the gravitational constant decreases.

Can escape speed and distance be exceeded?

Yes, it is possible for an object to exceed the escape speed and distance. This can happen if the object receives a gravitational assist from another object, such as a planet, or if it is propelled by a force greater than its own weight, such as a rocket.

Why is escape speed and distance important?

Escape speed and distance are important for space exploration and understanding the dynamics of celestial bodies. They also play a crucial role in satellite and spacecraft missions, as they determine the amount of energy and time needed for an object to leave the gravitational influence of a planet or a star.