Projectile Motion 2.0- Drag in RL

In summary, the conversation revolves around a college research lab write up with a major error in the assumption of air resistance. The professor has pointed out the incorrect acceleration and the person is seeking help in determining the equations for projectile motion with air resistance calculated in. They were previously using a discrete method but are now considering a continuous method. The main confusion is around the incorrect assumption of air resistance and the person is looking for help in fixing it. They are grateful for any assistance and believe that correcting this error will fix several discrepancies in the data and improve the paper.
ultrapowerpie
So I'm writing a Scientific Lab Inquiry (college research lab write up), and my professor pointed out a major error in my assumption of air/mathematics but I can't for the life of me figure out what is wrong or how to fix it.

Attached is a copy of the paper in all it's glory/infamy. There's a few comments on there, the major one I want to focus on is where he points out that the acceleration for the air resistance
is incorrect. That is the primary part we're focusing on since that alone throws off all calculations/assumptions for the rest of the paper, but if you have any other feedback it'd be appreciated since I'm not used to this type of writing.

But to sum it up: I need help determining the equations of projectile motion with air resistance calculated in. I WAS using a discrete method since I'm using Excel and I can just plug in the formula from the data and just have it generate everything, rather then try using a continuous method which I assume would involve programming

Thanks in advance for your help on the matter!

Attachments

• Inquiry_4_Annotated.pdf
    432.9 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Want to say thanks to the mentors for moving this to the correct forum and for anyone who can help.

As an added note, I think the major point of confusion here is that I messed up the assumption on air resistance but I don't know how to fix it or how the original assumption is wrong.

Thank you again for your help :D

Oh, and yes, everything is in the PDF file. But it's only the first few pages that are currently rel event to the situation.

Last edited:
At the first point marked 'not right' you seem to have taken acceleration due to drag to be constant. If we go back to what you had previously, Fx = -D*v*vx, that leads to the differential equation md2x/dt2 = -D((dx/dt)2+(dy/dt)2)1/2dx/dt

ack, I thought i had accounted for that. Yeah that would be a huge mix up since air resistance is not constant.

Ah, I see, thank you. Then from THAT acceleration equation I can build up a new velocity and new displacement equation that includes a non-constant acceleration, which should fix many of the discrepancies I found in the data when I plugged it into Excel. That in turn should fix a good chunk of the paper. Thank you very much!

Hello, thank you for reaching out and sharing your research with me. Projectile motion with air resistance is a complex topic and it is not uncommon for mistakes to be made in assumptions and calculations. It is important to thoroughly review and understand the equations and principles involved in order to accurately model and predict the motion of a projectile in real life.

In your case, it seems that your professor has identified an error in your calculation of air resistance. This is a crucial factor in projectile motion as it can significantly affect the trajectory and final position of the projectile. In order to correct this error, I would suggest consulting with your professor and possibly revisiting the equations and principles involved in calculating air resistance. It may also be helpful to conduct further research and gather more data to support your calculations.

As for your method of calculation, using a discrete method in Excel can be convenient, but it may not accurately represent the continuous motion of a projectile. I would recommend exploring other methods, such as programming, to more accurately model the motion of a projectile with air resistance. This may involve using differential equations and numerical methods to account for the continuously changing forces acting on the projectile.

Overall, it is important to carefully review and double check all assumptions and calculations in your research to ensure accuracy. I wish you the best of luck in your continued studies and research on projectile motion with air resistance.

Related to Projectile Motion 2.0- Drag in RL

1. What is projectile motion 2.0 and how does it differ from regular projectile motion?

Projectile motion 2.0, also known as projectile motion with drag in real life (RL), takes into account the effects of air resistance on a moving object. In regular projectile motion, air resistance is often ignored, but in projectile motion 2.0, it plays a significant role in the trajectory of the object.

2. How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Air resistance, also known as drag, acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the object and increases as the speed of the object increases. This means that as a projectile moves through the air, it will experience a force that slows it down and causes it to deviate from its original path.

3. Can the drag force be calculated mathematically?

Yes, the drag force can be calculated using the equation FD = 1/2 * p * v2 * CD * A, where FD is the drag force, p is the density of the medium (air), v is the velocity of the object, CD is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the object.

4. How does the inclusion of air resistance affect the maximum height and range of a projectile?

The presence of air resistance will cause a projectile to lose kinetic energy as it moves, resulting in a decrease in its maximum height and range. The amount of decrease will depend on the initial velocity, mass, and drag coefficient of the object.

5. How is projectile motion 2.0 used in real life applications?

Projectile motion 2.0 is used in various fields such as engineering, sports, and military technology to accurately predict the trajectory of objects and design systems that can overcome the effects of air resistance. It is also used in research and experiments to study the effects of drag on different objects and materials.