Projectile Motion: Angle of Impact

In summary, the conversation discusses the method for calculating various factors related to a ball being thrown from a 200 m high bridge with an initial velocity of 34.4 m/s at an angle of 54° above the horizontal. The calculated values include the height above the throwing height, total time in the air, horizontal distance traveled before hitting the water, and velocity at the time of impact. The final question asks for the direction in degrees below the horizontal, which can be found by splitting the velocity into horizontal and vertical components and using the arctan function.
stripedcat

Homework Statement

A ball is thrown from a bridge 200 m high with an initial velocity of 34.4 m/s at an angle of 54° above the horizontal.

Homework Equations

I'm not sure... arctan Vx/Vy = x? I really don't know.

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) How high above the throwing height does the ball go: 39.5 meters
(b) The total time the ball is in the air: 9.83 seconds
(c) The horizontal distance the ball travels before it hits the water: 199 meters
(d) The velocity of the ball as it strikes the water: 71.4 meters/second

And here is the one I don't know how to calculate.

Direction _______ degrees below the horizontal.

I know the answer to be 73.6 degrees, I do not know how to calculate the answer. I was looking for an online resource, but I could only find information under the assumption of a level field as opposed to launching the projectile from a height. I was able to fairly easily calculate the other numbers there, but ran into an issue trying ti figure out the last part.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
You already know how to do this without another resource.
The trick is to split the velocity into horizontal and vertical components.
You can work out the horizontal and vertical velocities at the time of impact - sketch them out head-to-tail and find the angle the resultant makes to the horizontal. Yes - it's the arctan.

Oooh, had the wrong Vx/Vy, or the wrong Vy rather. That was the problem. Thanks.

1. What is projectile motion and how does it relate to the angle of impact?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. The angle of impact refers to the angle at which a projectile hits a target or surface. The angle of impact affects the distance and direction of the projectile's travel.

2. How does the angle of impact affect the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. The angle of impact directly affects the range of a projectile - the higher the angle, the greater the range. This is because a higher angle will result in the projectile being in the air for a longer period of time, allowing it to travel a greater distance horizontally.

3. What is the optimal angle of impact for maximum range?

The optimal angle of impact for maximum range is 45 degrees. This is because at this angle, the horizontal and vertical components of the projectile's velocity are equal, resulting in the greatest range. Any angle higher or lower than 45 degrees will result in a shorter range.

4. How does the angle of impact affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The angle of impact affects the trajectory of a projectile by determining its path through the air. A lower angle will result in a flatter trajectory, while a higher angle will result in a steeper trajectory. The angle of impact also affects the height at which the projectile reaches its peak and its overall flight time.

5. What factors can affect the angle of impact of a projectile?

The angle of impact of a projectile can be affected by factors such as the initial velocity, air resistance, and gravitational force. The angle can also be influenced by external factors such as wind and other forces acting on the projectile during its flight.