Projectile Motion Check + Good tutorial?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a transport plane releasing a parcel while traveling at a steady speed and altitude. The goal is to calculate the time of flight, speed of impact, and distance from the point of release to the point of impact. The solution involves drawing a diagram and using equations of motion. There is a minor mistake in the initial speed of the parcel, which is corrected, and the use of coordinates is clarified. The final answers are deemed correct.
rudders93

Homework Statement

I have this problem, but not solutions, and my answer looks wrong but I can't really see that I've done anything wrong. So I was wondering if someone could check:

A transport plane traveling directly at a steady speed of 50m/s at an altitude of 300m releases a parcel when directly above a point X on level ground. Calculate:
a) The time of flight of the parcel
b) the speed of impact of the parcel
c) the distance from X to the point of impact

(all assuming g = 9.8m/s^2

2. The attempt at a solution

So I drew a diagram. For a) i got:

x = 300m, a = -9.8m/s^2, u = o, t = ?
[tex]300 = \frac{1}{2}(-9.8)t^{2}[/tex]
=> t = 7.82s

b) I got x = 300m, a = -9.8m/s^2, u = 0, v = ?
[tex]v^{2} = 0 + 2(-9.8)(300) \Rightarrow v = 54.2 m/s[/tex]

c) [tex]x_{h} = 7.82 * 50 = 391 m[/tex]

Now what I'm not sure about is did I do that correctly? and can I assume that initial velocity (u) is 0? And then the equations, they require me taking a square root of a negative number (which I can't do over the real number field) so can I modulate the number, or am I doing something wrong?

Also, could anyone recommend a good projectile motion / applications of Newton's laws problem solving tutorial on the net? I can't seem to find one :(

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You did one thing incorrectly. The initial speed of the package as it leaves the plane is not 0. Think about it. What would the speed of the package have to be in order to travel along with the plane?

Also your equations are making you take square roots of negative numbers because you're not using your coordinate system correctly. You let down be the negative direction but you said your box (which falls downwards) has a positive displacement. So you are contradicting yourself.

Hmm. But with the package, since the plane is flying steadily at 50m/s doesn't that mean that the initial vertical speed is 0?

And I see what you mean by the incorrect direction

rudders93 said:
Hmm. But with the package, since the plane is flying steadily at 50m/s doesn't that mean that the initial vertical speed is 0?

And I see what you mean by the incorrect direction

Ah yes the initial vertical speed is zero, I misread your equation since you used x's instead of y's. Sorry about that.

So your answers are indeed correct.

Ah kk, thanks!

Related to Projectile Motion Check + Good tutorial?

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity alone.

2. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, the angle of launch, and the force of gravity.

3. How is the trajectory of a projectile calculated?

The trajectory of a projectile is calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of launch, and acceleration due to gravity.

4. How does air resistance impact projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect projectile motion by slowing down the object and changing its trajectory. However, this effect is usually only significant for objects with large surface areas and slow speeds.

5. Can you provide an example of projectile motion in real life?

One common example of projectile motion in real life is a baseball being thrown or hit. The ball follows a curved path through the air due to the force of gravity, and its trajectory can be calculated using the equations of motion.