Projectile motion: equal distances in 5th and 6th seconds of trajectory

In summary, the question asks for the speed at which a body should be thrown upward so that the distance traveled in the fifth second and sixth second are equal. The solution involves understanding that the distance referred to in the question is the distance from a fixed point, not the total trajectory of the body. This means that the motion is symmetric and the final velocity at the fifth second should be 0. Using the equation Vf = Vi - gt, the initial velocity is calculated to be 50 light years per second.
NoahCygnus

Homework Statement

With what speed should a body be thrown upward so the distance traversed in the 5th second and 6th second are equal?

Homework Equations

No idea since I fail to comprehend the statement of the problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

This doesn't make sense to me, the distance traveled during the fifth second should be more than the sixth second as the initial velocity in the fifth second is more. During the sixth second , final velocity of fifth second will be the initial velocity of sixth second and it should be less than the initial velocity of the fifth second , so displacement should be different.

Physics news on Phys.org
You throw a ball in the air, it goes up, stops momentarily and comes back down. At the moment it stopped its speed is zero, one second prior it was X and one second after it will be X too. What is X?

Speed has no direction its a scalar, velocity has direction but they didn't ask that in your question.

As a clue ask yourself what time is the speed zero?

Note that when they say "the distance traversed", they mean the distance to the body from a fixed point (say, from where the body was launched). You're perhaps confusing it with the total length of the curve the body traces out (trajectory) as it's airborne. You should be able to solve it with jedishrfu's hint.

Likes jedishrfu
Moderator note: Thread title was too general (which is contrary to forum rules). Changed it to reflect the actual problem.

Likes jedishrfu
jedishrfu said:
You throw a ball in the air, it goes up, stops momentarily and comes back down. At the moment it stopped its speed is zero, one second prior it was X and one second after it will be X too. What is X?

Speed has no direction its a scalar, velocity has direction but they didn't ask that in your question.

jedishrfu said:

Am I throwing the ball vertically up , or at angle ?

NoahCygnus said:
Am I throwing the ball vertically up , or at angle ?
"Upward" in your problem statement means vertically up.

jedishrfu said:

jedishrfu said:

Vf = Vi - gt
0= V
i - 10(1)
V
i = 10

Is this correct ?

NoahCygnus said:
Vf = Vi - gt
0= V
i - 10(1)
V
i = 10

Is this correct ?
Distance covered from t=4s to t=5s is equal to the distance covered from t=5s to t=6s.

What can you say about the direction of motion in both the intervals?

cnh1995 said:
Distance covered from t=4s to t=5s is equal to the distance covered from t=5s to t=6s.

What can you say about the direction of motion in both the intervals?
After fifth second , the motion gets reversed and the object falls ?
So do I've to calculate initial velocity at the fourth second ? I still don't get it.

NoahCygnus said:
After fifth second , the motion gets reversed and the object falls ?
So do I've to calculate initial velocity at the fourth second ? I still don't get it.
I think I get it now. The final velocity of the body should become 0 at fifth second. As the body will fall after fifth second and projectile motion is symmetric, the distance covered during 4 to 5th second and 5th to 6th second should be the same. So the initial velocity/speed with which I throw the body upward should be such that the body reaches max height at fifth second .
Vf = Vi - gt
V
f = 0
V
i = gt= 10(5)= 50.
Am I right ?

NoahCygnus said:
I think I get it now. The final velocity of the body should become 0 at fifth second. As the body will fall after fifth second and projectile motion is symmetric, the distance covered during 4 to 5th second and 5th to 6th second should be the same. So the initial velocity/speed with which I throw the body upward should be such that the body reaches max height at fifth second .
Vf = Vi - gt
V
f = 0
V
i = gt= 10(5)= 50.
Am I right ?

Looks good.

NoahCygnus said:
Vf = Vi - gt
V
f = 0
V
i = gt= 10(5)= 50.
Am I right ?
Units? :oldtongue:

Likes NoahCygnus and PeroK
JoePhysics said:
Units? :oldtongue:
Light year per second.

What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air or space under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

What are the factors that affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

Why do objects travel equal distances in the 5th and 6th seconds of their trajectory?

This is because the force of gravity remains constant, causing the object to accelerate at a constant rate. This results in equal distances being traveled during each time interval.

How can we calculate the distance traveled by a projectile in the 5th and 6th seconds?

The distance traveled can be calculated using the equation d = v0t + (1/2)at^2, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the importance of understanding projectile motion in science?

Understanding projectile motion is important in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering. It allows us to accurately predict the motion of objects and design structures and devices that can efficiently and safely handle projectile motion.