Projectile motion finding distance

In summary, the conversation is about solving a physics problem involving a catapult launched rock from a castle wall. The problem asks for the distance the rock hits the ground. The conversation discusses using the equations sin(theta) and cos(theta) as well as x=1/2at^2 to solve the problem. However, there is confusion about the equation for y and how to solve for time (t). It is suggested to use the equation y - y0 = Vy(t) - 1/2at^2 to find t, keeping in mind what y and y0 represent.
Coffeelover

Homework Statement

King Arthur's knights use a catapult to launch a rock from their vantage point on top of the castle wall, 12m above the moat. The rock is launched at a speed of 27m/s and an angle of 39∘ above the horizontal. How far from the castle wall does the launched rock hit the ground?

Homework Equations

sin(theta)
cos(theta)
x=1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the Vy and Vx components. To find time you see how long it reaches to the peak so I divided Vy/10? I found out time was t=1.69s (probably wrong) Then right there I'm stuck. I don't know what to do with the 12m either. I think I'm on the right track but maybe I'm just wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have an equation for y? That would be the key in incorporating the information about 12m.

ruso said:
Do you have an equation for y? That would be the key in incorporating the information about 12m.

do you mean the y=Vy(t)-1/2at^2? so if that's the case do you plug in 12 into y? and you are solving for t?

Coffeelover said:
do you mean the y=Vy(t)-1/2at^2? so if that's the case do you plug in 12 into y? and you are solving for t?

Did you get that equation from your textbook? Doesn't really look correct unless you change what the meaning of y is.

The way you have your equation, it seems like it should be Δy = Vy(t) - 1/2at^2 or y - y0 = Vy(t) - 1/2at^2, where y is the height at time t and y0 is your initial height.

ruso said:
Did you get that equation from your textbook? Doesn't really look correct unless you change what the meaning of y is.

The way you have your equation, it seems like it should be Δy = Vy(t) - 1/2at^2 or y - y0 = Vy(t) - 1/2at^2, where y is the height at time t and y0 is your initial height.
I was talking it over with my friend and he gave that equation. I don't understand what you're trying to solve for in that equation.

Coffeelover said:
I was talking it over with my friend and he gave that equation. I don't understand what you're trying to solve for in that equation.

Well, you want to know at what time t the rock the hits the ground, as it is a necessary part in finding your final answer: "How far from the castle wall does the launched rock hit the ground?"

You can't solve for t unless you have an equation for the height of the projectile (y - y0 = Vy(t) - 1/2at^2). If you know your starting height and the height at which you want to find t, you can solve for t using that equation if you keep in mind what y and y0 is in the equation.

Last edited:

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves under the influence of gravity alone. It follows a curved path known as a parabola.

2. How do you calculate the distance of a projectile?

The distance of a projectile can be calculated by using the equation d = v0 * t + 1/2 * g * t2, where d is the distance, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What factors affect the distance of a projectile?

The factors that affect the distance of a projectile include the initial velocity, the angle of launch, the mass of the object, and the air resistance. These factors can change the trajectory and therefore the distance traveled by the projectile.

4. Can the distance of a projectile be greater than its initial velocity?

Yes, the distance of a projectile can be greater than its initial velocity if it is launched at an angle greater than 45 degrees. This allows the vertical component of the initial velocity to contribute more to the overall distance traveled.

5. How does air resistance affect the distance of a projectile?

Air resistance can decrease the distance of a projectile by slowing it down as it travels through the air. This is because the force of air resistance acts in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion, reducing its speed and therefore its distance traveled.