Projectile Motion Help: Launch Velocity and Distance Calculation

• Thread starter Aldy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the conversation discusses launching a ball vertically from a spring loaded pipe and calculating its launch velocity and landing distance when fired at a 45 degree angle. The formulas used include V= -1/2gt, dy= Voyt + 1/2ayt (squared), and dx = Voxt + 1/2axt(squared). It is important to decompose the initial velocity into its x and y components and use kinematic equations to solve for the final velocity and displacement.
Aldy
Gold Member

Homework Statement

a ball is launched vertically from a spring loaded pipe at ground level, and it lands in 4.7 seconds. We need to figure out the launch velocity and how far the ball will land if fired at 45 deg angle.

Homework Equations

I am using the following formulas, not sure if they are the correct ones to use.
V= -1/2gt
dy= Voyt + 1/2ayt (squared)
dx = Voxt + 1/2axt(squared)

The Attempt at a Solution

I calculated the launch velocity to be 23m/s
however I am having trouble calculating how far the ball lands if launched at 45deg angle.
The answer should be between 50-60 meters but I get an answer of 155.

Could someone please help me figure this out, please show work so I can understand. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Erasing this for confusing language and a mistake:redface:, sorry

Last edited:
Erasing due to incorrect info

Last edited:
How about this, I think I need to proofread my posts a little better, I actually might have made a mistake in that one :redface:

Do you agree that, for a projectile launched at an angle theta, you can decompose an initial velocity as such:
[tex]v_{0x}=v_0cos(\theta)[/tex]
[tex]v_{0y}=v_0sin(\theta)[/tex]

Well, then, from the equation to follow we can calculate the initial y velocity (because initial y location is known, it is 0, y acceleration is known, it is g, and t is known, it is 4.7s, and its final location is known, which is when y is equal to 0 again, you should graph this function, it is a parabola)
[tex]y=y_0+v_{0y}t+\frac{1}{2}a_yt^2[/tex]
Then, with that figured out, we can get the total velocity using and then the x velocity in a few steps using those first two equations I gave you.

After solving for the initial x direction velocity, you can use the equation
[tex]x=x_0+v_{0x}t+\frac{1}{2}a_xt^2[/tex]
to find the total x displacement. We also know the initial x location, 0, and the x acceleration, 0 (because we have no air resistance), and now we know the initial x velocity from the work before.

Does that help?

It is important to realize that velocity is a vector, it has magnitude and direction. In a kinematics problem we can treat the x and y directions as independent and decompose a velocity vector into its constituent x and y components with the first two equations I gave you, and then use them in independent kinematic equations.

Last edited:
Thank you, that is very helfpul.:smile:

Please delete that quote so we don't confuse anyone who might end up here

Related to Projectile Motion Help: Launch Velocity and Distance Calculation

What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is thrown or launched into the air and is subject to the force of gravity.

What is the formula for calculating the trajectory of a projectile?

The formula for calculating the trajectory of a projectile is:
y = y0 + v0t + ½at2, where:
y is the vertical position, y0 is the initial vertical position, v0 is the initial velocity, t is the time, and a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s2).

How does air resistance affect the trajectory of a projectile?

Air resistance can affect the trajectory of a projectile by slowing it down and causing it to deviate from its intended path. The amount of air resistance depends on the shape, size, and speed of the projectile.

What factors can affect the range of a projectile?

The factors that can affect the range of a projectile include the initial velocity, angle of launch, air resistance, and gravity. For example, a higher initial velocity and a smaller angle of launch can result in a longer range, while air resistance and gravity can decrease the range.

What is the difference between range and maximum height in projectile motion?

Range refers to the horizontal distance traveled by the projectile, while maximum height refers to the vertical distance reached by the projectile. These two values are often dependent on each other and can be calculated using the same formula, but they represent different aspects of the projectile's motion.