Projectile motion of a cannonball

In summary: And the Vi that was in the numerator on the LHS was moved to the denominator. That leaves Vi^2 on the LHS, and the two cos(45) terms in the denominator on the RHS cancel, because cos(45)=sin(45)=1/sqrt(2). What's left is the equation for Vi^2 that they were looking for. It's a technique often used in solving quadratic equations. It's called "completing the square".In summary, the velocity of the cannonball leaving the cannon can be found by using the equations Vyi=sin45 * Vi and Vxi=cos45* Vi, where Vi is the initial velocity. The sin and cos of 45
Coco12

Homework Statement

A cannon fires a cannonball 500 m down range when set at a 45 degree angle.At what velocity does the cannonball leave the cannon?

Homework Equations

Vyi=sin45 * Vi
Vxi=cos45* Vi

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to do this question?? Can someone help me?
If u had time u could solve it but how to find that when u don't even know Vyi?

I found this solution online.. I understand everything until line number 10. How did they get cos 45? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Vyf = Vi sin 45+ at,

at = - Vi sin45

-gt = - Vi sin 45

t = Vi sin 45/g

And we defined t = 1/2 T or T = 2t

T = 2*Vi sin 45/g

Lets pull back up [eq1] and plug in this last equation into it.

Vi cos 45 = R / T

Vi cos 45 = R / (2*Vi sin 45/g)

Vi^2 = g*R / (2*sin 45 *cos 45)

Vi = sqrt (g*R / (2*sin 45 *cos 45))

There you go, now just plug in your numbers.

Vi = sqrt (9.81 m/s^2 *500 m / (2*sin 45 *cos 45))

Vi = 70 m/s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Coco12 said:

Homework Statement

A cannon fires a cannonball 500 m down range when set at a 45 degree angle.At what velocity does the cannonball leave the cannon?

Homework Equations

Vyi=sin45 * Vi
Vxi=cos45* Vi

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to do this question?? Can someone help me?
If u had time u could solve it but how to find that when u don't even know Vyi?

Cool12, please don't use text-speak here on PF.

Write out your equations of motion for the projectile. What's special about sin and cos of 45°?

gneill said:
Cool12, please don't use text-speak here on PF.

Write out your equations of motion for the projectile. What's special about sin and cos of 45°?

Sorry, sin and Cos of 45 is the same

Coco12 said:
Sorry, sin and Cos of 45 is the same

Right. So what does that tell you about the velocity components?
What's the sin or cos of 45°?

Write out the equations of motion for the projectile.

gneill said:
Right. So what does that tell you about the velocity components?
What's the sin or cos of 45°?

Write out the equations of motion for the projectile.

Sin /cos of 45 degrees is 0.707..
But why are they multiplying sin45 by cos 45?

Coco12 said:
Sin /cos of 45 degrees is 0.707..
That's one over root 2. It's a value worth remembering. 45° one of several common angles that it would be very helpful to remember the sin and cos for.

But why are they multiplying sin45 by cos 45?
? Who's "they"? The sin and cos of the launch angle are used to decompose the initial velocity into its separate vertical and horizontal components. Here the sin and cos are the same. So the component velocities are equal.

Write the equations of motion for the projectile!

thank you, I understand it now

Last edited:
Coco12 said:
I got the answer- the way it was worked out from a website and am trying to understand why they are multiplying sin 45 by cos 45 in the final steps...

You should have mentioned that you'd edited your original post, adding additional information. I only looked back because I couldn't understand what you were referring to...

Anyways, I looked at the derivation you posted, and while it works, it's a bit of an odd approach. It can be done quicker starting with the basic equations for projectile motion.

But if you want to know what happened in that solution, I can help you there. You're worried about what happened around line 10, so let's take a look:
8)##~~~~~## Vi cos 45 = R / T

9)##~~~~~## Vi cos 45 = R / (2*Vi sin 45/g)

10)##~~~~## Vi^2 = g*R / (2*sin 45 *cos 45)
At line 10, both sides were divided by cos(45), and both sides were multiplied by Vi. The g that divided the denominator on the RHS was moved to the numerator.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity.

2. How does the velocity of a cannonball affect its projectile motion?

The velocity of a cannonball affects its projectile motion by determining the distance and direction it will travel. The greater the initial velocity, the farther the cannonball will travel and the longer it will stay in the air.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a cannonball?

The trajectory of a cannonball is affected by the initial velocity, the angle at which it is launched, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and wind can also have a slight impact.

4. How does the angle of launch affect the range of a cannonball?

The angle of launch directly affects the range of a cannonball. When launched at a 45-degree angle, the cannonball will travel the farthest distance. As the angle decreases or increases, the range decreases as well.

5. How is the maximum height of a cannonball calculated during projectile motion?

The maximum height of a cannonball can be calculated using the formula: h = (v2sin2θ)/2g, where h is the maximum height, v is the initial velocity, θ is the angle of launch, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.