Projectile (Which Statements are true?)

• Thread starter Smart-Bunny
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projectile
In summary, the conversation discusses the acceleration of a ball affected by gravity and the factors that influence its speed and trajectory. Questions are raised to prompt further thinking about the problem and members provide explanations and corrections to each other's statements. It is determined that the ball accelerates downwards at a constant rate of 10 m/s2 and its speed at point B is non-zero but less than 20 m/s.
Smart-Bunny
Hi everyone, , I just want to make sure if I have done the statements right. Thank you. :)
Capture.JPG

Physics news on Phys.org
At point A is the ball being affected by gravity?

Why do you think from A to B takes less time than from B to C or vice versa?

I've counted that one of your checks is correct so far, and that you are missing two others, for a total of three checked boxes. Other members, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

So here are some questions to help you think about the problem:

1. If the ball at A is not accelerating, when does the acceleration begin? What causes the acceleration, and why would it not be constant?
2. While at the peak of a parabolic arc the ball may have a y velocity of 0, does it have no x velocity? If it were to have a velocity in the x direction, would this be greater than, less than, or equal to the initial velocity of the ball at A?
3. Why would the ball travel faster on one part of the arc than another, provided both are equal and symmetrical?

mrnike992 said:
I've counted that one of your checks is correct so far, and that you are missing two others, for a total of three checked boxes. Other members, feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
I concur.
Smart-Bunny, it isn't entirely clear from the diagram, but I would treat the trajectory shown as being merely part of a longer one. So, apart form being equidistant from B, there's nothing special about the points A and C.

Thanks guys! At point A the ball accelerating downwards 10 m/s2, At point B the ball accelerating downwards 10 m/s2 and at point B the speed is non-zero but less than 20 m/s :)

Smart-Bunny said:
Thanks guys! At point A the ball accelerating downwards 10 m/s2, At point B the ball accelerating downwards 10 m/s2 and at point B the speed is non-zero but less than 20 m/s :)
All true.

1. What is a projectile?

A projectile is any object that is thrown, launched, or otherwise propelled through the air. This can include objects like a baseball, a bullet, or a rocket.

2. What forces act on a projectile?

In the absence of air resistance, the only force acting on a projectile is gravity. This causes the projectile to follow a curved path known as a parabola. However, air resistance can also affect the motion of a projectile.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a projectile?

The trajectory of a projectile is affected by its initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity. Air resistance, mass, and the shape of the object can also play a role.

4. Can a projectile change direction?

Yes, a projectile can change direction. This can occur when it collides with an object or when external forces, such as wind, act on it.

5. What is the range of a projectile?

The range of a projectile is the horizontal distance it travels before hitting the ground. It is affected by the initial velocity, angle of launch, and the force of gravity.