Prolonging the Life of Poorly Accessible Rusted Steel

• Thread starter scott123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life Steel
In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of rust on the brake lines of an old car. The speaker had a rear brake line fail due to rust and is looking for a temporary solution to buy some time before replacing the lines. They mention using copper nickel line and potentially using tannic acid or rustoleum. They also mention concerns about access and time constraints for fixing the issue. The conversation also touches on the potential contribution of water in the brake fluid to the rust and suggests using fresh fluid to slow down corrosion. Finally, the conversation briefly mentions various commercial rust removal products and the use of acids, such as lemon juice or vinegar, to remove rust.
scott123
I had a rear 3/16" OD steel brake line in my car fail due to rust. I spliced out the area with the hole with copper nickel line, but, I noticed that there's areas closer to the engine where the painted surfaces have bubbled a bit. Unfortunately, access is such that I can't splice fresh line, but I can get a hand up there, and, to a point, maybe sand down the surface and paint it. Due to the gauge of the tubing, though, I can't sand that aggressively, so, no matter what, I can't remove every bit of rust.

I have a very old car that I don't plan on keeping more than a few months. I'm just trying to find an approach that buys me the most time. Right now, I'm thinking maybe tannic acid and then rustoleum. Or maybe zinc paint? Thoughts?

Accessing the lines involves both a window of good weather and a pretty hefty chunk of time lifting the car high enough and removing the protective shield, so whatever I come up with needs to be a one shot deal. Again, not looking for forever, just a few months. There's a good chance, that, doing nothing, I'll be fine for a few months, but, I'd still like to hedge my bets by trying something.

And, just to be clear, there's no need for a safety lecture. When my rear brake line failed, the car still stopped fine. If this were a front brake, I'd be a lot more cautious about slightly rusty lines, but, it's not. My front brakes are flawless.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Rust may be working its way out, since brake fluid is highly hygroscopic.
Also, when one branch fails, most cars lose pressure in one front brake and the opposite rear brake (rather than both front or both rear calipers).
There are commercial products that stop the rust without the need for over-painting the affected surface.

Lnewqban said:
Rust may be working its way out, since brake fluid is highly hygroscopic.
Also, when one branch fails, most cars lose pressure in one front brake and the opposite rear brake (rather than both front or both rear calipers).
There are commercial products that stop the rust without the need for over-painting the affected surface.

Interesting. Regarding the hygroscopicity. So, potential water in the previously aging fluid might have been contributory. Assuming the corrosion was internal, now that the fluid has been aggressively replaced with fresh fluid, that might slow the corrosion down, correct?

What commercial products are you referring to?

Yes, fresh fluid will greatly help.

It seems that your tube is suffering a pitting corrosion.
If so, many more pin-holes are currently developing.
Please, see:
https://corrosion-doctors.org/Corrosion-History/Rusting.htm

You can look up "Rust remover jelly" for local options.
Loctite has good products.

Last edited:
Slightly off-topic for your brake lines, but here goes:

Generally, any acid will remove rust. Check the label on some of them, many are phosphoric acid which is a decent medium-strength rust remover.

Don't use strong acids like hydrochloric (muriatic) or sulfuric acid, they strip off so much of the metal surface that the rust returns with a vengeance.

For gentler action, there is lemon juice or vinegar.

You also have a choice of liquids or gels. Gels are great for larger items that you don't want to dunk in a large container. For smaller and/or more detailed objects I lean towards immersing in the liquid formulations; or sometimes saturating a rag and just wiping the surface.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes Lnewqban

1. How does rust form on steel?

Rust, also known as iron oxide, forms on steel when iron reacts with oxygen and moisture in the air. This chemical reaction weakens the steel and causes it to corrode, leading to rust formation.

2. What factors contribute to the formation of rust on steel?

The main factors that contribute to rust formation on steel are exposure to oxygen, moisture, and electrolytes. Other factors such as temperature, pH levels, and the presence of pollutants can also accelerate rust formation.

3. Can rusted steel be restored to its original condition?

Yes, rusted steel can be restored to its original condition through a process called rust removal. This can be done through mechanical methods such as sanding or blasting, or through chemical methods using rust converters or acids. However, the restoration process can be time-consuming and may not be feasible for poorly accessible areas.

4. How can the life of poorly accessible rusted steel be prolonged?

The life of poorly accessible rusted steel can be prolonged by implementing preventive measures such as coating the steel with anti-corrosion paints or using sacrificial anodes to protect the steel. Regular maintenance and inspections can also help identify and address any rust formation before it becomes severe.

5. What are the potential risks of prolonging the life of poorly accessible rusted steel?

Prolonging the life of poorly accessible rusted steel can be risky if proper precautions are not taken. The rust may continue to spread and weaken the steel, leading to structural integrity issues. Additionally, the restoration process can be hazardous if proper safety measures are not followed, such as wearing protective gear and working in well-ventilated areas.