Proof by Induction Involving Divisibility

In summary, Dick says that if a and b are two integers, then b = a*n for some n ∈ ℤ . He also says that if a|b, then b=a*n for some n∈ℤ. He gives a hint to prove that ##P(k+1)=81*3^{4k+1}-25*5^{2k-1}##, and he provides a step-by-step solution to this equation.
Colleen G

Homework Statement

Let P(n): 7|(34n+1-52n-1. Prove that P(n) is true for every natural number n.

Homework Equations

*I know that proving by induction requires a proving P(1) true, and then proving P(k+1) true.
*If a|b, then b=a*n, for some n∈ℤ

The Attempt at a Solution

I have proved the "base case" for P(1). Long story short, for n=1, you wind up with 7|238 by definition of divisibility since 238=7(34). So P(1) is true.

The next part is where it gets tricky - Assuming P(k) is true, that is, 7|(34k+1-52k-1, which is the inductive hypothesis. Then proving for P(k+1). What I have so far is...
7|7|(34(k+1)+1-52(k+1)-1
=34k+5-52k+1
=34 * 34k+1-51*52k
=34 * 34k+1-(3*52k+2*52k)
=34 * 34k+1-3*52k-2*52k
=.....

Now I don't know what to do! I know I have to get it to the point where I can use the inductive hypothesis, which is what I'm trying to do, but I've hit a wall, or taken a wrong turn when split the 5 into a two and a three. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Colleen G said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

*I know that proving by induction requires a proving P(1) true, and then proving P(k+1) true.

I have proved the "base case" for P(1). Long story short, for n=1, you wind up with 7|238 by definition of divisibility since 238=7(34). So P(1) is true.

The next part is where it gets tricky - Assuming P(k) is true, that is, 7|(34k+1-52k-1, which is the inductive hypothesis. Then proving for P(k+1). What I have so far is...
7|7|(34(k+1)+1-52(k+1)-1
=34k+5-52k+1
=34 * 34k+1-51*52k
=34 * 34k+1-3*52k-2*52k
=.....

Now I don't know what to do! I know I have to get it to the point where I can use the inductive hypothesis, which is what I'm trying to do, but I've hit a wall, or taken a wrong turn when split the 5 into a two and a three. Any ideas?

Here's a short hint 3^4=81=56+25=56+5^2 and 56 is divisible by 7.

Ok yes I see that, but am having trouble using it. Are the steps that I have taken so far correct? Or have I done more than necessary. What I'm saying is, can I use this information about 3^4 from the step that I left off at?

Colleen G said:
Ok yes I see that, but am having trouble using it. Are the steps that I have taken so far correct? Or have I done more than necessary. What I'm saying is, can I use this information about 3^4 from the step that I left off at?

Convince yourself that ##P(k+1)=81*3^{4k+1}-25*5^{2k-1}##. Use that ##81=56+25##. See how you can express that in terms of ##P(k)##?

Colleen G said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

7|7|(34(k+1)+1-52(k+1)-1
=34k+5-52k+1
=34 * 34k+1-51*52k
=34 * 34k+1-3*52k-2*52k
=.....

This is badly written: the "equation" you wrote, namely
[tex] 7|7|(3^{4(k+1)+1} - 5^{2(k+1)-1} \\
= 3^{4k+5} - 5^{2k+1} \\
\vdots
[/tex]
does not even make sense.

To say it properly, here is a hint: letting ##F(n) = 3^{4n+1} - 5^{2n-1}##, prove that for positive integer ##k##, ##F(k) = 7j## for some positive integer ##j## implies ##F(k+1) = 7 m## for some positive integer ##m##.

Thank you for you help, Dick! I understand now.

What is proof by induction involving divisibility?

Proof by induction involving divisibility is a mathematical technique used to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It involves using the principle of mathematical induction and the properties of divisibility to show that the statement holds for the base case (usually n=1) and then using the inductive hypothesis to show that if the statement is true for some natural number k, then it must also be true for the next natural number k+1.

What are the steps for using proof by induction involving divisibility?

The steps for using proof by induction involving divisibility are as follows:

1. Base case: Show that the statement is true for the first natural number, usually n=1.
  2. Inductive hypothesis: Assume that the statement is true for some natural number k.
  3. Inductive step: Use the inductive hypothesis to show that the statement is also true for the next natural number, k+1.
  4. Conclusion: Conclude that the statement is true for all natural numbers by the principle of mathematical induction.

What are some examples of proofs by induction involving divisibility?

Here are two examples of proofs by induction involving divisibility:

• Example 1: Prove that for all natural numbers n, 7n+4 is divisible by 3.
  • Example 2: Prove that for all natural numbers n, 6n+5 is divisible by 4.

What is the principle of mathematical induction?

The principle of mathematical induction states that if a statement is true for the first natural number (usually n=1) and if it can be shown that if the statement is true for some natural number k, then it must also be true for the next natural number k+1, then the statement is true for all natural numbers.

What are some common mistakes when using proof by induction involving divisibility?

Some common mistakes when using proof by induction involving divisibility include:

• Not showing the base case is true.
  • Assuming that the statement is true for all natural numbers without using the inductive hypothesis.
  • Not using the properties of divisibility correctly in the inductive step.
  • Confusing the order of operations and making arithmetic errors.